Hello friends! It’s chickpeas today! I love chickpeas for its delicious nutty flavour and creamy texture. I don’t know if you have noticed, but it has sort of heart shape and looks similar to hazelnuts. It belongs to the legume family and is packed with protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber and is very low in fat. Today I am sharing my peanut butter clean eating baked falafels recipe.
You can buy dried chickpeas and let it soak overnight before cooking or you can be as lazy as I am and just use the tinned version. It is so versatile and can be used as the base for cooking and baking. Have you tried my homemade peanut butter hummus yet ? I am sure you have eaten falafels before, but my clean and healthy version has an added protein boost by using peanut butter. You can skip this part, but trust me when I say these falafels will add some spice to your midweek meal. I also add half a teaspoon of turmeric, which is a key spice for all of you curry lovers out there, but also has amazing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Let’s get making!
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley or coriander (I lurrrve coriander)
- Juice from 1 lemon or lime
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup ground almonds or you could use 1/4 cup buckwheat flour (they both work very nicely)
- Start with preheating your oven to 190 degrees and line your baking tray with baking paper.
- Put the chickpeas into a food processor and process until a smooth/puree consistency. Add peanut butter, ground almonds or buckwheat flour, ground turmeric, garlic, cumin, lemon juice and chopped parsley.
- Combine well, then season with salt and pepper. If the mixture is too thick add splash of water or milk.
- Using your clean and a little bit wet hands shape the chick-pea mixture into small balls before placing the balls on the baking sheet, pop in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Flip over once at the halfway point to avoid burning and for even cooking.
- Enjoy with salad, wholemeal tortillas or pita bread and a nice dollop of white yogurt
Leave a comment if you do make these delicious falafels and have a wonderful weekend! As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts