I have a feeling you will absolutely love this clean eating chocolate orange cake, and here are just a few reasons why. First of all, it is a cake, second of all, it is chocolate and orange cake, and last but absolutely not least, the base for this cake is made from a delicious protein bar. And not just any kind of protein bar, we are talking about a scrumptious, organic chocolate and orange protein bar handmade by the amazing guys at BodyMe, who have kindly given me some for free to play around with to create this delicious recipe.
Their story is similar to mine, in that they are just an ordinary pair of guys who decided to start a family business and bring something delicious and nutritious to help you live a healthier lifestyle. There’s no mass production going on here, just protein bars that are handmade made with love. Each BodyMe bar packs in 16 grams of protein and is the perfect base for this moorish, gorgeous and truly satisfying clean eating chocolate orange cake.
All you have to do is blend 3 bars with a splash of water and let it set in the freezer for a few minutes. This is just perfect for busy mums or lazy cooks (aka me!) who don’t want to spend ages in the kitchen blending nuts and oats to create a cake base.
If you are wondering about the cost fear not, I have got you sorted! The BodyMe guys have kindly created a special offer – three bars + postage for ONLY £6.99 for you my lovely friends and followers. Let’s not forget to mention that these bars contain no nasties including no added sugar, no starches, no sweeteners, no bulking agents and any other not so nice ingredients that you will find in most other protein bars. Are you sold? Well I certainly was! If you are ready, here are the simple steps to follow:
- Use this special link to go to the BodyMe website
- Add 3 bars of your favourite flavours to your basket (obviously cacao orange if you’re making this recipe)
- Add discount code TCG3BAR and click ‘update order’. Total is now £6
- Click ‘Continue to Checkout’ and select ‘Delivery Option £0.99 standard 2 to 3 days’
This offer is available until 31st October 2016, so try them out soon so that you have time to get more if you love these as much as me!
The topping is made with avocados (for creaminess, don’t worry, you cannot taste them), cacao, juice from ½ an orange, and a couple of spoons of date nectar or whatever healthier sweetener you might have at home. That is it, nothing else needed and it all takes less than 15 minutes to make.
If you want the orange flavour to really to stand out, add in a couple of drops of orange oil, it tastes lush!
Here’s the clean eating chocolate orange cake recipe
- 3 BodyMe cacao orange protein bars
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 medium avocados
- ⅓ cup cacao (If using cocoa powder add a touch more)
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (approx. juice from half of a big orange)
- 3 tbsp date nectar (maple syrup or other healthier sweetener will do too)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Optional: couple of drops of orange oil and a couple of slices of orange
- In your blender or food processor, blend the 3 bars with 3 tbsps of water.
- Get a 6-hole muffin tin and line each hole with the bar mixture, then place in the freezer to set.
- De-seed the avocado and place the flesh in your blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust flavours to your taste buds.
- Take the muffin tin out of the freezer and divide the avocado mixture equally between the bases.
- Decorate with orange slices and place back in the freezer for a couple of hours.
- If eaten straight out of freezer leave for 15 minutes to thaw, otherwise you can store them in the fridge and eat straight away.
How easy is this recipe? I bet you are loving it already and you haven’t even tasted it yet! Don’t forget to you can buy the BodyMe protein bars here and as always, if you do make this recipe, please share it with me either on my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Disclaimer: I’m a proud affiliate of BodyMe which means if you use my links to purchase the item, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.