The English summer has not disappointed this year… as every year there is basically no UK summer. It is cold, grey and there are torrential rain showers twice a day here in Essex. All I crave is comfort food, so here I am my lovely clean eaters, sharing my clean eating sweet potato gnocchi recipe!
Before we get to the recipe, let me tell you about last weekend. I was at the Love Natural Love You show doing my cooking demo… straight after Aldo Zilli, check me out! It was a brilliant show and I was super excited to be a part of it. Thank you very much to all of you who came. Your support means a lot!
Now back to cooking and how to make the most delicious and satisfying clean eating sweet potato gnocchi. I can’t actually believe how versatile an ingredient sweet potato is. I have made sweet potato brownies in the past, as well as a sweet potato smoothie, roasted sweet potatoes and sweet potato crispy fries. The options are endless and the health benefits of sweet potatoes priceless. If you are after a gluten free option, try quinoa or buckwheat flour. Spelt does have gluten, but it is higher in protein and is very water soluble which makes its nutrients easier to digest. I know that some of you lot sensitive to gluten can handle spelt flour too, so give it a go.
I never really liked gnocchi, but somehow I have been craving them recently. As white pasta is devil’s food for me, I thought why not come up with clean eating sweet potato gnocchi recipe instead? I can’t believe how simple it is. All you need is boiled or baked sweet potatoes, your favourite flour and a pinch of salt. I love them with either my red or green pesto, but if you fancy a very simple lunch or dinner, just drizzle them with olive oil, add some fresh spinach and tomatoes and enjoy!
Here’s the clean eating sweet potato gnocchi recipe
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 and ⅓ cup spelt flour (you might need to add more flour depending on your potatoes) + more for rolling and shaping gnocchi
- Pinch of salt
- Start by boiling or baking the potatoes in the oven.
- If you are baking them they will need around 25 minutes at 200 degrees.
- Once they’re soft, leave to cool down for a few minutes before peeling off the skins.
- If the potatoes are too watery or mushy let them cool down longer otherwise you will need to add more flour and the taste will not be the same. If need be drain the water out.
- Place the skinless potatoes in a bowl, mash until smooth, season with salt and pepper and add spelt flour.
- Combine well together and use your hands to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, sprinkle more flour onto the work surface and knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Cut the dough into 3 pieces and roll each piece into a very long sausage shape.
- Cut up into small pillow-like shapes with a sharp knife.
- In a large pot of simmering salted water, cook gnocchi in small batches until they float. Once they float to the top, spoon them out and let them rest for few minutes before serving.
And that is it my friends, nothing special required to create this lovely meal for you and your family.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts