The summer and even the Indian summer is over now, In fact, I have just put my heating on at home. However rather than being sad about it let’s enjoy and embrace the longer autumn nights…and what better way than with my clean eating sweet potato lentil soup recipe.
I love sweet potatoes and I love red lentils. When you combine these two together in a soup you create something very warming and soothing… a kind of layer of protection against those plummeting temperatures outside.
This clean eating sweet potato lentil soup recipe is perfect for us busy working mums, because it’s not about complicated processes and world-class results, but making something quick, cheap, delicious and suitable for all the family.
Pulses in particular are a great source of protein and a great way for all of you veggies and vegans out there to include natural, plant-based protein. They are low in fat too, a good source of fibre and low GI which is great for all of you watching your blood sugar levels. It is also great for people on a lower cholesterol diet because they are a zero cholesterol food. They are also cheap, versatile, full of vitamins and even count as one of your daily five portions of fruit and veg. On top of all that, you can buy them tinned, dried or pre-cooked almost everywhere.
Here’s the clean eating sweet potato lentil soup recipe
- 200g dried lentils
- 1 sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 1 cup tinned full fat coconut milk
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C
- In a bowl mix together 1 tbsp coconut oil, smoked paprika, a touch of salt and pepper and the sweet potato chunks. Tip the chunks onto the baking tray and bake for around 15 minutes or until soft.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan and add in the diced onion. Fry until they soften and then add the garlic, turmeric, cumin and chilli powder and fry for another minute or so.
- Next add in the vegetable stock together with the lentils, then cover and let it simmer for 12 minutes
- Now take the sweet potatoes out and let them rest for a couple of minutes
- Add the coconut milk and the sweet potato chunks into the soup mixture.
- Cook for another 5 minutes ensuring the lentils are soft. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve in a bowl with a generous sprinkle of coriander or parsley
How nice is this clean eating sweet potato lentil soup recipe? The perfect Autumn bowl of goodness. As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts