I love apple pies and apple crumble, so when I spotted on my Pinterest feed a photo of a savoury galette I immediately thought of creating a clean simple apple galette recipe. This was so much fun to make. I love how you literally fold the dough around the apples and then pop it in the oven. No fuss and a great result, don’t mind if I say so myself 🙂
The word “galette” literally means a rustic tart. In other words, it comes out looking perfectly imperfect.
In this clean simple apple galette recipe I am using coconut butter, because I just happened to have some at home, but feel free to use coconut oil or if you are on the 3 month clean eating challenge you could use goats butter too, although you know that dairy free is the best for your body 🙂 Make sure the coconut butter or oil is as hard as possible. It helps the dough to set better.
If you are not an apple lover use any other fruit you have in the house. I suspect this would work lovely with mixed berries, or pears! Even rhubarb, which I really hate, could be a nice change.
Here’s the simple apple galette recipe
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- ½ cup coconut butter, not melted (you can use coconut oil too)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water, mix together and let it sit for 10 minutes)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp ice cold water
- Apple Filling:
- 2 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp date syrup or any other sweetener
- 1 - 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line your baking tray with baking paper
- Combine the spelt flour with cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Cut the chilled coconut butter into chunks and mix carefully into the flour until the butter is the size of peas (do not stir too much).
- Add chia egg
- Slowly add 6 to 8 Tbsp of cold water until the dough holds nicely together.
- Cover it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for a bit while you make your apple filling.
- To make the filling, mix date syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add the sliced apples and toss to coat. Make sure all the slices are nicely covered.
- Take the dough out and roll out on a floured surface. Transfer to your prepared baking tray
- Place the coated apple slices in the middle of the dough either arranging them in an even layer, or in a circle.
- Fold over the edges of the dough and brush gently with some butter.
- If you have you can sprinkle some coconut sugar on the top to make it more crunchy.
- Pop in the oven for around 50 minutes, or until brown.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts