Today it’s all about spicy roasted aubergine recipe. I am not a massive fan of aubergines, but boy this recipe is so good that I have to share it with you so that you don’t miss out you lovely lot!
It’s very rainy here in Essex today. I literally don’t fancy doing anything… well, apart from eating. There isn’t much to be found in the fridge… there are a couple of aubergines (bought by mistake), pomegranates (also bought by mistake), and two soya yoghurts. I love challenges like these where I have literally nothing to eat yet I always somehow manage to create a little feast. Today is no different with my spicy roasted aubergine recipe. it’s served with a spicy yoghurt dressing, pomegranates, a sprinkle of seeds and a few leaves of fresh spinach. This is rather a simple recipe but really punches with flavours and colours.
I am not a big fan of aubergine (although I do like the emoji – random I know!), but it is quite a filling, ‘meaty’ vegetable and will satisfy even the hungriest mouth. Aubergine is one of nature’s superfoods as it’s a powerful antioxidant, a very good source of fibre, vitamins B1, B6, K, copper, potassium, folate… the list goes on.
Back to today’s spicy aubergine recipe. I love spices and this recipe is living proof. I think I have used every single spice and herb I could find in my cupboard, but if I had to select only a few, I would definitely use fresh garlic, cumin, a touch of smoked paprika and chilli. Good olive oil is a must to rub into each half as well as good pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
For the dressing, I used soya yoghurt, but you can use any white yoghurt. I mixed it with more cumin, cinnamon, salt, a few chilli flakes and some freshly chopped parsley.
Here’s the spicy roasted aubergine recipe
- For the roasted aubergine
- 2 nice shiny aubergines
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Good glug of olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Few chilli flakes
- Good pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper
- For the dressing
- 1 cup white yoghurt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- Few chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Toppings: pomegranates, sunflower seeds, black sesame seeds, fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees.
- Slice the aubergine in half lengthways, make a few criss cross slits and place on the baking tray flesh side up.
- Next, rub each half with approx. 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 garlic clove.
- Sprinkle evenly with cumin, smoked paprika, chillies, salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 40–45 minutes until completely soft.
- In the meantime, prepare your dressing by mixing the yoghurt and all of the spices together. Taste and adjust seasoning according to taste.
- Once the aubergine is baked, pour the dressing over each half and sprinkle with pomegranate, sunflower seeds and black sesame seeds.
- I like to serve it on a bed of fresh spinach for extra crunch and superb colour.
I love this simple recipe and the dressing is one you can use for anything to make it taste delicious. I sometimes add a touch of curry powder and have it with my peanut butter falafels or use it over any salad.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts