I am not sure whether this sweet potato cabbage hash recipe should go under breakfast or lunch/dinner section, but what I do know is, it is bloomin’ delicious!
I know the pictures don’t look the best, but let me tell you this is so good. Even my fussy 7-year old had a big chunk and loved it. Happy Days! If the dark purple colour puts you off, use green cabbage instead or savoy cabbage would work very well too.
Talking about cabbage, did you know it is an amazing natural superfood? It is loaded with vitamins C and E, as well as beta-carotene, potassium, fibre and thiamine. It is best eaten raw and packs in a lot of phytochemicals which a number of studies have shown can help with fighting off cancer.
In order to retain all the lovely vitamins make sure you don’t overcook the cabbage. The best is quick stir-frying or blanching. If sweet potatoes don’t tickle your fancy (what?!?), go for white potatoes instead. As always, the recipe is versatile and can be changed and adapted to what you like and, whatever you have in your cupboard.
Before we get to the recipe, I just wanted to remind you my book and eBook is on sale until the end of January. You can get it in here. It has 21 recipes with a full shopping list and has been created to help you eat clean and healthy on a budget, as all the ingredients are available in Aldi or Tesco.
Here’s the sweet potato cabbage hash recipe
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut in cubes
- ½ purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- coconut oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- First, cook the potatoes (you can leave the skin on) until tender.
- Next, blanch the cabbage until it has softened, drain and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and fry the onion until golden.
- In a bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, cabbage, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add this mixture to the onions and cook for around 5 minutes while giving it a bit of stir.
- Pat the mixture down and pour in the mixed eggs.
- Take off the heat and pop under grill for around 5 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.
- Serve with loads of fresh veggies.
How easy is this sweet potato cabbage hash recipe? Brilliant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts