It might be spring in the air, but the days and evenings in particular are still cold, so keep warm inside with steaming mugs of my Homemade Hazelnut Latte.
This Homemade Hazelnut Latte is made in collaboration with Barley Cup.
Barleycup is a delicious drink is made from roasted cereal grains and chicory root and is extremely versatile. It is tasty on its own or can be used as an ingredient in other drinks and desserts.
I decided to use it to create this cozy Hazelnut Latte because lockdown life is still very much on and we have to make the days at home better and more exciting.
- It is caffeine free
- It has very nice mild flavour
- All ingredients are natural with no added additives
- It's vegan
- The whole family can enjoy it. My Sofia, 11 years old, absolutely loves it mixed with warm milk and few chocolate chips melted in it
- Good source of fibre
- It can be mixed with any type of milk or water. I made my own hazelnut milk!
- They have different flavours including caramel or with dandelion
How to Make Healthy Homemade Hazelnut Milk?
It's so simple, you won't believe you have never tried this before. All you need is hazelnuts, good food processor , pinch of salt and touch of sweetness.
I don’t even buy the milk cartoons any more, because it’s so easy to make from scratch.
- Hazelnuts - make sure they are raw, not roasted, with nothing added. Soak them overnight but if time is a bit more precious soak them in a hot boiling water for at least 4 hours.
- Medjool Dates - you only need 1, but if you don't have dates use maple syrup or any sweetener of your choice.
- Salt - I love adding pinch of salt to any homemade plant-based milk. It sounds odd, but it is so needed. Even in dessert recipes, salt helps other flavours pop, without making them salty.
- Water - pure water, you will need approximately 3 - 4 cups. Start with 3 first and see if the milk is not too creamy. If it is too thick add more water.
Homemade Hazelnut Milk Latte – Recipe Variations
You could add cinnamon, vanilla extract, even pinch of chilli or a teaspoon of peanut butter. Anything works.
How Long Hazelnut Milk Last?
Usually around 3 - 4 days. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
- 2 tsp Barleycup
- ½ cup raw hazelnuts, soaked overnight or at least for 4 hours
- 3 - 4 cups water (depends how thick you want the milk to be, less to thicken, more to thin)
- 1 medjool date or 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Rinse and drain the soaked hazelnuts
- Pop them in your blender/food processor and add all the other ingredients
- Blend until creamy and smooth. Keep it running for couple of minutes so you get the most out of your hazelnuts
- If you don't want the pulp in, squeeze the milk through a clean tea towel
- You can make this delicious Pulp Cookies with it or simply discard it
- Warm the milk in a small pot, add the Barleycup and serve with a sprinkle of cocoa powder. It's just delicious.
Keep the milk in fridge in a jar or covered bottle. You can use it on your cereals, make porridge or in baking.