I recently got back from a short visit to my homeland, the Czech Republic. I won’t go on about how amazing Czech Republic is or bore you with how much (really a lot) I am scared of flying, but what I will tell you and what you are probably the most interested in, is what I eat on the aeroplane, Healthy energy balls.
There are no healthy snacks when you fly with Ryanair (yep I’m a cheap airline girl) The best choices are olives but even those are not always in stock. So be smart and be prepared with these 5 ingredients, healthy energy balls. Make them the day before you fly and leave them to set in the fridge.
The flavours will mix and create something chocolatey, lovely, a bit gooey and very tasty, yet healthy! Of course these can be eaten anytime, not just on the aeroplane. These are the perfect combination of protein, carbs and fats, so a delicious, fast, nutritious and cheap snack. As always use the ingredients you have and replace with suitable alternatives eg. Medjool dates could be swapped for normal dates, raw cacao replaced with cocoa powder. No hazelnuts? Go for almonds or seeds if you need a nut free version. The world is your oyster especially when it comes to these healthy energy balls 🙂
Healthy energy balls recipe
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates (Medjool are the best)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (I used Chia Bia ground chia seeds, but you can use whole)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the coating: anything you have in the house, I used hemp seeds, desiccated coconut and goji berries
- Start by grounding the hazelnuts into a flour consistency . The more chunks the better the texture.
- Next add pitted dates, cacao powder, chia seeds, vanilla extract and then pulse until you get a sticky dough.
- Form small balls, roll them in your favourite coating and place in the fridge to set for an hour or so