Hello, hello...gosh I really struggled what to call this dish, so for now I will settle for no grain cauliflower porridge. Last week I visited my long term friend and amazing girl Mel who has a fab 3D Fitness Page on Facebook for the usual girly chit chat. She is fighting candida at the moment and asked me to come up with a breakfast that doesn't contain any starches, sugar or eggs. Not an easy task let me tell you, so I asked Mr.Google for help and discovered cauli-oats. Yep, you heard it correctly, today we are making no grain cauliflower porridge. Before you start pulling a disgusted face, wait...it honestly doesn't taste of cauliflower. It is lovely, filling and chocolatey. All you paleo fans will love this as well as those who are zero carb-ers, missing your usual porridge.
My recipe is a combination of two yummy looking recipes I found on the internet, Healthy Living How To and Peachy Palate. I took the best out of these two and created my own version of cauliflower porridge.
Cauliflower porridge recipe
I used normal coconut milk, not a tinned one, added some cacao, hemp seeds and a whole banana, because I like things sweet. And because I am a lazy cook and always in a rush I bought from Tesco a pot of cauliflower rice, but you could simply make your own one. Just place one cauliflower head in your food processor and process until you get rice size grains/pieces. The texture is not exactly like your usual porridge, but I would say it is pretty close. I couldn't taste much of the cauliflower, but my family could definitely smell it and I guess the neighbours too! Oops!
- 1 tub cauliflower rice (I get it from Tesco, 330gr)
- 1 cup coconut milk (not tinned one)
- 2 tsp cinnamon or even more
- 1 tbsp cacao
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 scoop protein powder ( I used pea protein from Pulsin)
- You could also add vanilla extract
- Put the cauliflower rice, milk, shredded coconut and cinnamon in a pot, bring to a simmer and then reduce heat and cover, simmer for 10 mins. Make sure you stir it, otherwise it might burn
- Next add cacao, hemp seeds and mashed banana and cook for a further 5 mins. Just before serving mix in your protein.
- Serve with a dollop of your favourite nut butter, sprinkle of shredded coconut or some fruit.
- PS: If you want to have it very creamy , use ¼ cup of tinned coconut milk and ¾ normal coconut milk
Now tell me what you think? Are you going to give it a go? I hope so, because I would love to compare notes and get your opinion.
If you like all things cauliflower have a go at my cauliflower bread .