My summer obsession with zoodles (courgette noodles) continues despite the fact autumn is in full swing and Mrs Winter is already knocking on the door. So today I have for you my favourite zoodles recipe which is zoodles with avocado and spinach sauce.Zoodles, if you didn't know, is basically noodles created from courgettes/zucchini by using a simple peeler or a spiralizer. You can eat them raw, you can stir- fry them or you can microwave them to soften them up ( 1 ½ - 2 mins on high). Whichever process you decide to go for you will be rewarded with a lovely, tasty , filling and most importantly, healthy low carb dish which the whole family can enjoy!
- 2 medium courgettes/zucchini, washed
- half of an avocado
- ⅓ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup of cashew nuts
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 garlic glove, finely chopped
- juice from ½ lemon
- half of small onion, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of chilli ( optional)
- Start by peeling or spiralizing the courgettes. If you like it crunchy use them as they are,otherwise you can cook them first, but don't forget to let the water drain before serving. Once done set a side.
- Get your food processor or high blender and pop the cashew nuts in and pulse until it starts forming a paste.
- Now add the avocado, almond milk, spinach, onion, garlic and lemon juice and process until it becomes a smooth sauce/paste.
- Add pepper and salt to taste and add more seasoning if required ( I like a bit more garlic and a few flakes of chilli).
- All that is left is to mix the sauce with the zoodles, add cherry tomatoes, garden peas and even a sprinkle of hemp seeds.
Don't forget to try my courgette penne with spicy tomato sauce!