Let me start this post by saying these nut bars with pistachios and cranberries are simply lush. I know I probably say this about all my recipes, but these are truly delicious. I mean, why shouldn't they be, they are full of nuts, dried fruit and topped up with a raw chocolate sauce. The cranberries and pistachios add a bit of festive flavour, but if you dont have these swap them for anything else such as dried cherries and flakes of coconut, it works perfectly and is seriously good.
It’s been exactly two days since my dearest family eat all of these nut bars, but my little Sofia is still checking the freezer to make sure she didn’t miss one last piece. And you know what, I didn't mind at all, because these nut bars are little powerhouses and so much better than any shop bought granola bars. Take chia and flax seeds full of healthy fats and fiber as well as Omega 3s. Then you've got Sunflower seeds which boast magnesium, selenium and vitamin E.
Nut bars with pistachios and cranberries
The sweetness comes from the dried fruits which also act to bind it all together. There are also 2 tablespoons of date syrup in the chocolate sauce, but that is it when it comes to sugar. If you check any shop bought nut bars you will find golden syrup, corn syrup and honey in one bar, not mentioning the flavouring, colouring and additives.
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- Handful of cranberries
- Handful of pistachios, crushed
- Pop all the ingredients (except the ones for the topping) in to your food processor and combine
- The mixture should be nice, chunky and sticky. If not add a couple of tablespoons of water
- Get a freezer friendly, small square dish and press the mixture in it.
- Pop in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile make the chocolate topping by melting all the ingredients.
- Take the mixture out of the freezer, pour the chocolate over it and sprinkle with cranberries and crushed pistachios.
- Pop in the fridge to set for an hour and once set take out , slice up and devour
These nut bars are perfect for serving at family gatherings (hint:Christmas) or even to make little homemade gifts. Add in some of my Chai granola and your loved ones will be totally spoiled.