This amazing, healthy carrot cake with cashew frosting is perfect for Christmas or year round! Made incredibly delicious and moist with fresh carrots, spelt flour, dried fruits, a blend of warm spices and a homemade cashew frosting, this carrot cake recipe is truly the BEST cake EVER.
With Christmas right around the corner, I thought some carrot cake would be great to share.
But this isn't just any carrot cake, this carrot cake with cashew frost with a great flavour throughout and a classic done with a healthy twist!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY CARROT CAKE:
- It's easy! In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients and then gently fold in the dry ingredients. Don't overmix it.
- Pour it all in your cake tin and let the magic happen in the oven.
- If you have time, roast the walnuts for 10 minutes in the oven. Roasted walnuts add a smoky, nutty flavour while also adding a nice crunch.
HOW TO MAKE CASHEW FROSTING:
- Cashew nuts are a staple in my cooking. Great quality cashews should be mild nutty, super creamy, and very tasty.
- There are various ways to use cashews in recipes such as to incorporate it into dressings for salads, sauces, drizzled over brownies, or baked into other desserts like cookies/bars, and more.
- For the cashew frosting, you are going to soak the cashews overnight.
- In the morning add them into a high speed blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until completely smooth and creamy. The frosting can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to two weeks!
This healthy carrot cake is visually quite simple. Jazz it up by decorating with chopped nuts, grated carrots, pomegranates or festive sprinkles. Get creative and your cake is sure to be a showstopper!
- ½ cup Walnuts (I used Snacking Essentials Walnuts)
- ½ cup dried fruit ( I used Snacking Essentials Berry Mix)
- 1 heaped cup grated carrot (the sweeter the better)
- 200g spelt flour
- ⅔ cup white yogurt
- 3 flax-seed eggs (3 tbsp flax seeds mixed with 9 tbsp water, let it sit for 10 mins)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 grated apple
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup or any other sweetener you have
- For the cashew nut frosting:
- 200g Snacking Essentials Cashew Nuts, soaked overnight
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees and grease your cake tin.
- Start by mixing the flour with the baking powder.
- Next add cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, and Berry Mix and set aside
- In another bowl mix the yogurt, flaxseed eggs, melted coconut oil and date syrup
- Mix both bowls together and add grated carrot and apple.
- Combine well and pour into a prepared cake tin
- Pop in the oven and bake for around 40 minutes.
- The cake is cooked when you insert a skewer, and it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool down completely before frosting.
- Now make the frosting by placing all ingredients in a high-speed blender minus the almond milk.
- Start blending and add the milk slowly until you achieve desired consistency. The less milk you use the thicker the frosting will be. Taste and adjust sweetness.
- Frost the cake or refrigerate until needed.
- Top the final cake with pomegranates, and crushed walnuts.