Looking for a healthy vegan late night snack to curb any wayward cravings? I've got just the thing. This healthy banana snack will cure your sweet tooth, while filling you up with protein, healthy fats and the natural sleep-aiding magnesium.
Late night cravings. We have all been there… When it comes, it hits you hard and it is not easy to resist.
The best way to avoid any late night cravings is to eat enough good complex carbs during the day such as sweet potatoes, oats, and quinoa. But also fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes and grains.
I know from experience that whenever I've restricted or eaten less during the day I started to crave food late at night.
Sometimes this can lead to binge eating which then creates a vicious cycle that is not easy to overcome.
Also, make sure you fill up with the right meal at dinner time, so include protein and fiber to satisfy your appetite and fill you up for longer.
Now back to this very simple, healthy late night snack made with bananas, that should help to satisfy any cravings. It is so simple, the perfect size and really hits the spot. I usually have two as a serving.
It is not about the time you snack, but more what you actually snack on. I also want to stress to you to enjoy your treats and don’t make yourself feel guilty or bad, gone are the days of self-hate and feeling guilty about food.
It is ok to have it (of course within part of a balanced diet) and enjoy it. I know some of you may argue it is high in calories or sugars or fat, but my mission is about enjoying real food, making smarter choices and staying in control. Not about depriving yourself.
Your body needs food to function. It's about fuelling it with the right foods so it can run efficiently.
You only need 4 ingredients to create this healthy vegan snack! And they're all things you're likely to have on hand already..
- Banana. Make sure it's ripe.
- Peanut Butter. Or you favorite nut/seed butter.
- Coconut Oil. Unrefined is best, but whatever you have on hand.
- Raw Cacao Powder. You can use cocoa powder instead if need be, but you'll need to use a little extra.
- Date Syrup (Optional). Or any natural, unprocessed sweetener.
You are going to have to make these healthy night time snacks in advance, so prep some now and keep them in the freezer for when those cravings hit!
Slice up your banana into even slices.
Spread your nut butter on the banana, and stick two slices together.
Then place them on a tray and pop them in the freezer for an hour or so to harden up.
In the meantime, melt your coconut oil, cacao, and syrup (if using) on low heat.
Take the banana bites out of the freezer and dip each bite into the melted cacao mixture. Place them back on a non-stick tray and back into the freezer until set.
These healthy banana treats can be stored in the freezer for up to a month. When ready to eat, just let them thaw for about 10 minutes before digging in!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or any of your favourite nut/seed butters
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao or cocoa powder (if using cocoa powder add a bit more)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon date syrup or any of your favourite sweeteners
- Cut up the banana into slices and spread the nut butter on each slice.
- Stick 2 slices together and place in the freezer for an hour or so to harden up.
- In the meantime melt the coconut oil, cacao and syrup on very low heat.
- Take the banana bites out of the freezer and dip each bite in the melted mixture.
- Pop back in the freezer to set.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Here you go, how simple and delicious is that? You could also use dark chocolate chips or raw chocolate for dipping and sprinkle with some crushed nuts. As always let me know what you think!