This is my spin on a vegan Earl Grey Cake. I swapped a few things around to make it a bit more healthy and it works a treat. You can have this for breakfast, too. Just saying!
Does Earl Grey tea need any introduction? I think it's one of the most popular teas in the world. But if you're not familiar with it, it's a black tea flavoured with oil from bergamot citrus.
And it's my all-time favourite tea! I love it with (homemade oat) milk but, also loads of lemon and a pop of maple syrup when I am feeling a bit under the weather.
This healthy vegan Earl Grey Tea Cake has a subtle sweetness, so it's perfect on its own, but also great with tea/coffee or even my homemade hazelnut latte.
How Do You Make Vegan Earl Grey Pound Cake?
This might be the easiest from-scratch dessert I’ve ever baked. The ingredients are stirred together in a single bowl, then you pour the mixture in your cake tin and bake until golden and delicious.
Ingredients for this vegan tea loaf:
- Spelt Flour - works the best. But I have tried with almond flour and it was lovely and super nutty. So if you need to make a gluten-free early grey cake, give that a go.
- Earl Grey - I used a traditional tea bag, but you can use any Earl Grey you might have. The stronger the better, so you could grind your tea and then simply add it to the dough.
- Milk - I have used unsweetened almond milk, but any plant-based milk works well.
- Lemon juice - just to bind all the flavours together
- Baking powder and baking soda - this recipe uses no eggs, so this is needed to help it raise.
- Coconut Oil - to add healthy fats but also a delicious light coconut scent
- Walnuts - To add texture, flavour and added antioxidants. You can use almonds, or cashews if you prefer.
- Maple Syrup - Instead of using white refined sugar, I wanted to naturally sweeten this cake with maple syrup. The flavour of maple syrup is incredible paired with the Earl Grey tea. You can use any natural liquid sweetener.
- Spices - I used a classic combination of cinnamon, and nutmeg for warmth and rich, deep flavours.
How to Serve Earl Grey Tea Cake
This earl grey vegan cake recipe is amazing on its own, but if you want to make it extra special, here are some ideas:
- With melted chocolate - just drizzle over the top
- With a spread of my homemade Nutella - just so good and highly recommended, but be warned it will be exceptionally, over-the-top indulgent (not necessarily a bad thing!)
- With a good cuppa - or my Hazelnut Latte
How to Store Earl Grey Pound Cake
- To Store: This recipe can be made in advance, cooled completely, and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To Freeze: Up to 3 months and let thaw overnight in the fridge before serving
More Healthy Vegan Bakes :
- Rhubarb Crumble
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Blackberry Crumble Bars
- Easy Bundt Cake
- 2 cups spelt or almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Earl Grey tea bags
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup maple syrup ( or sweetener of your choice)
- ½ cup crushed walnuts (or nuts of your choice) + extra for toppings
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C /350F and grease your baking tin with a touch of coconut oil. Set aside.
- Warm up the milk and place 3 tea bags in it, leave it there for a good few minutes. The stronger the brew, the better.
- Get a bowl and sieve through the flour together with the baking powder and baking soda.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and mix gently together.
- Now add all the wet ingredients and mix until everything is mixed well
- Fold in the crushed walnuts and leave some for sprinkling on top
- Pour the mixture in your prepared baking tin, sprinkle with the remaining crushed walnuts and pop in the preheated oven.
- Bake for around 40 minutes or until the wooden skewer comes out clean. If the walnuts are getting burned, cover the tea cake with aluminium foil.
- Let it cool down completely before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.