Easy couscous recipe with colourful vegetables, a touch of chilli and a squeeze of lemon. The perfect healthy side or main dish that packs a punch!
I know you might be surprised that although I love spending time in the kitchen making and baking, I don't want to spend the whole day there.
I wish I had the time to do so, but I just haven't, plus I have a family, so time is precious when you have to cook in between school homework, park visits and managing the busy social calendar of my 5-year-old daughter packed with birthday invitations. She goes out more than I do!
Fast, cheap, healthy, easy to prepare and filling, what's not to love about couscous? Perfect for weekdays evenings or midweek lunches, it never disappoints and can be largely prepared ahead of time.
Easy couscous recipe
I love to create simple, quick recipes and couscous is one of my pantry staples because it is quick and easy to cook and goes with just about everything.
Like today's recipe which got created with ingredients that happened to be in the fridge and it turned out to be very nice, light, refreshing and filling.
How do you cook couscous?
It's so easy, here is what you do:
- Boil the kettle
- Pour the boiling hot water in a bowl, stir in the couscous, cover and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes
- Get a fork and stir up the couscous until light and fluffy.
- If you want it extra tasty, use vegetable stock instead of water
Here's the easy couscous recipe
- 1 cup dry regular (small) couscous
- 1,5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- ½ onion diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coconut oil for frying
- ½ red pepper diced
- ½ green pepper diced
- ½ carrot diced
- ½ courgette/zucchini diced
- Handful of chopped parsley
- Handful of chopped mint
- Juice from half a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli
- Start by heating the coconut oil in a pan. Add the diced onion and fry until soft. Stir in the garlic and ground cumin and fry for another minute.
- Next add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat (this is important) and mix in the couscous. Cover with a lid and let it sit for 10 min or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- In the meantime get another pan and heat a bit of coconut oil. Add the peppers, carrots, courgette and fry until soft. Add chilli, season well and taste.
- Once soft, tip the fried veggies in a bowl, add the couscous, parsley, mint, lemon juice and give it a good stir.
- Season and if you have time, leave to stand for around an hour for the flavours to develop and mix together really well. But it's just as tasty served immediately too!
Fluffy couscous with loads of veggies. Easy enough? I hope so. If you are looking for another recipe for couscous salad have a little look at my Cranberry and Apricot Couscous. Or how about trying my Egg Fried Cauliflower Rice, which is another light, yet filling side or main dish.
Where to find couscous you ask? Nowadays almost every supermarket has it in stock, just check the section where lentils and barley are. If you can, opt for whole-wheat couscous. Make sure you pin this recipe too!