My most popular flavour combination is chocolate (obviously) and orange. Nothing beats these two, so it’s no surprise I am always experimenting with different ways to use this delicious combination and... taddddaaaaaa! Please meet the latest creation, my clean eating chocolate orange cookie recipe. Simple ingredients, lovely texture and very easy to make.
For this clean eating chocolate orange cookie recipe, you will need wholemeal spelt flour, oats, your favourite sweetener, cacao or cocoa powder and juice and zest from one orange. Talking about zest, I have to tell you about my latest discovery, Deiss® PRO Citrus Lemon Zester & Cheese Grater.
This grater is a machine, a very sharp machine, and the first time I used it I nearly grated my finger off thanks to its razor-sharp, stainless steel blade. You can use it for parmesan, lemon, ginger, garlic, nutmeg, chocolate or any vegetables and fruit. It comes with a protective cover and is dishwasher friendly.
I got it sent by the lovely Lisa from Deiss with some tips on how to make the most of it. They are super handy, so I thought I would include them for you too.
1) Oil the grater - to avoid a messy clean-up, brush the grater with a little cooking oil or a bit of butter before using it.
2) Freeze the cheese - colder cheese grates better. Put the cheese in the freezer for about 30 minutes before grating and you’ll avoid annoying clumping. Even softer cheeses like mozzarella will grate well if you freeze them first.
3) Wash your fruit thoroughly - use soap and water to wash off pesticides, waxes, and dyes. Allow the fruit to dry before zesting.
4) Remove only the outer part of the citrus rind - hold the fruit firmly and rub it up and down along the grater. Avoid the white pith. Rotate the lemon slightly after each grating. Try not to scrape any section of the lemon more than once.
5) Remove excess cheese build-up - sometimes, cheese or other products will get stuck on the underside of the grater. Remove them by tapping the grater against the side of your bowl or cutting board. If necessary, use a cleaning brush and put the grater under running water.
You can check out the grater here, they actually have it on sale! Now let’s get making and baking this chocolate orange cookie recipe.
Here's the clean eating chocolate orange cookie recipe
And there you have it - a simple clean eating chocolate orange cookie recipe. Luckily, this recipe is also perfect if you fancy making clean chocolate chip cookies as you can add them in too for an extra chocolatey treat! As with everything I make, the quality of the ingredients used mean these are much better for you than shop bought versions, but always enjoy them in moderation.