Today I am sharing my easy, healthy Chickpea scramble recipe which is just the perfect savoury breakfast or lunch when you’re craving something satisfying yet healthy. This recipe is vegan/plant-based, egg-free, dairy-free, grain-free, oil-free, gluten-free and soy-free.
This easy, healthy chickpea scramble recipe never fails to satisfy...on many levels. It's easy on the pocket, easy to make, full of flavour and very quick to make. You can't beat canned chickpeas when it comes to convenience, especially when you have a small kitchen like I do. But dried chickpeas is good too and even cheaper, so feel free to use it. Just make sure it's well cooked (approx. 1.5 hrs) and soft to bite.
As far as spices are concerned I used paprika, nutritional yeast, pinch of cumin, pinch or turmeric, salt and pepper. You could throw in the mixture chopped up spinach, kale, coriander or fresh parsley. I always make this with nutritional yeast to give it an extra kick and also to get extra boost of B vitamins.
I served it as a lunch with some leftover quinoa and wild rice topped with sundried tomatoes and spring onions. This chickpea scramble recipe is basically a vegan answer to scrambled eggs, so you could serve it on a toast with some raw or cooked veggies topped with avocado or anything you have on hand.
Here's the easy, healthy chickpea scramble recipe
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Handful kale or spinach, sundried tomatoes, chopped spring onion
- In a bowl, add the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, turmeric, cumin, paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well then mash it up with fork but not until smooth, leave some bigger chunks
- Next add the chickpea mixture to a pan with a splash of hot water and cook through until hot, adding a splash or two of hot water, if needed, to achieve desired texture
- Taste, adjust seasoning if needed and serve
- Serving options for breakfast: On toast with some fresh veg and avocado
- Serving options for lunch or dinner: On a bed of quinoa or rice with sundried tomatoes and spring onions
And there you have it, easy, healthy chickpea scramble recipe which is quick, easy and inexpensive. If you after more savoury breakfast make sure you check out tofu scramble recipe.Make sure you pin this recipe too!