I asked you on my Facebook page which recipe would you like me to put up and the clean eating sweet potato brownies have beaten the 3-ingredients chocolate energy bar. It was very close though! These brownies are soft, moist and have a kind of Nutella flavour thanks to the hazelnut meal used in this recipe. Not only is it easy to make and bake, but it is also really healthy, being dairy and refined sugar-free. It's also high in fibre and rich in vitamins and minerals. Let's not forget to mention the sweet potatoes, which in comparison with the usual white potatoes have more vitamin C, fewer calories, more fibre and fewer total carbs despite more sugar content.
Don't forget to top them up with some delicious ripe raspberries. They take this brownie to another level!
- 1 medium size sweet potato which should make 1.5 cups of mashed sweet potato
- ⅔ cup of hazelnut or almond meal (whole almonds or hazelnut pulsed until a flour consistency)
- 1 tbs of ground flax seed + 3 tablespoon of water mixed together, leave to thicken for a few minutes
- ⅓ cup of melted coconut oil
- ½ cup of maple syrup or any of your favourite liquid sweetener
- ⅓ cup of raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 355F and prepare a square baking dish lined with baking paper. Next, peel the sweet potato, cook until soft and mash it up properly. You will need 1.5 cups of sweet mashed potato.
- In a bowl combine the mashed potato, hazelnut meal, baking powder and raw cacao.
- In a separate bowl whisk together coconut oil, brown rice syrup, vanilla extract and the flaxseed mixture.
- Fold the dried ingredients into the wet ingredients and pour the mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- ***IMPORTANT***Let the brownies cool down for a minimum of 30 mins which will help them to set and stick together. Enjoy loads and loads!