Oh yes, oh yes! I am smiling while I am typing this because this chocolate roasted chickpeas recipe will knock your socks off! Literally! Gently sweet with a chocolate kick it delivers on the flavour, texture, smell and hat final satisfaction feeling. It is healthy, gluten- free, dairy-free, nut-free, wheat free, full of crunch…and simply marvellous!
Can you believe we are almost a month down already? I can hear February knocking on the door! Are you still sticking to your New Year’s resolution? It is so easy to slack off during winter, so don’t worry if you are failing. There is still another 11 months to achieve your goals!
I like anything with chickpeas, including hummus, falafels, chickpeas in salad or as the main ingredients in my nut free brownies. You name it, I have a recipe for it here on my blog, so check them all out while munching on these chocolate roasted chickpeas.
Chocolate roasted chickpeas recipe
In this recipe I am using canned chickpeas, but you can use dried chickpeas too. Just soak them in plenty of water for a minimum of 8 hours or more and then drain and cook in plenty water for upto 2 hours. If you don’t have coconut sugar use honey, but don’t panic when you see it going all black in the oven. Cacao can be replaced with cocoa powder, although cacao is just that little bit better…just saying 🙂
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsps raw cacao or 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1.5 tbsp coconut sugar (I used Coconut Merchant)
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Firstly let the chickpeas dry a bit on a paper towel.
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees and line your baking tray with baking paper
- Next place the chickpeas into a bowl and add all the ingredients. Combine well ensuring every single chickpea is covered.
- Spread the chickpeas out on the baking paper and place in the oven for 40 minutes stirring and turning occasionally.
- Once baked, turn off the oven, open the oven door and leave in there for another 15 minutes.
How simple is this? It is not only delicious and nutritious but also easy, quick and makes a healthy snack suitable for your kid’s packed lunch or to keep in your work desk drawer.
As always please if you make this recipe share it with my either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it!