Happy New Year my lovely readers! I hope you had a truly fantastic time over the festive period! I am back with a bang and a healthy Bolognese recipe, but this one has a twist!It’s Veganuary this month, which means eating vegan food throughout January. Going vegan is apparently the new craze for 2018, but for me, this is more about promoting the health benefits of plant-based eating and showing how easy and varied this lifestyle is. You can find out more info, recipes, tips and ideas for how to go vegan on their website.Today’s healthy Bolognese recipe is a perfect example to show you that being plant-based/vegan doesn’t mean missing out on your favourite meals or, eating only salad! My healthy Bolognese is almost identical to the traditional Bolognese recipe apart from swapping beef mince for soya mince. I used Clearspring gluten-free organic soya mince as it is a quick cook vegan/vegetarian protein which can be used in a multitude of recipes instead of meat. Soya mince is low in fat, gluten-free and GMO-free. Clearspring textured soya protein is made from 100% European soya beans. To use it simply add the mince to boiling water or stock and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the excess water and then use as per normal mince.
I like my Bolognese served with brown rice, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, fresh chillies and baby gem lettuce. Or try it out with my turmeric rice, recipe in here.
Here’s the healthy Bolognese recipe
- 300g soya mince
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, carrot, celery and garlic gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, dried herbs and vegetable stock.
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently for another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Next, add the soya mince and let it simmer for around 2 minutes.
- Season to taste, take off the heat and serve with brown rice or spaghetti