This easy Roasted Broccoli and Quinoa Salad recipe is served with a deliciously creamy tahini lemon dressing. It's a warming and hearty salad that you'll come back to time & time again!
Slightly spicy, seasonal, and filling, this salad is a wonderful mix of textures and flavour. It’s made with tenderstem broccoli, protein-packed quinoa, juicy tomatoes, all enhanced with a touch of garlic, chilli and spring onions (scallions).
Why You'll Love This Roasted Broccoli Salad Recipe
Tenderstem broccoli is such an amazing vegetable and this broccoli and quinoa salad is my favourite way to enjoy it.
This recipe makes the best tasting broccoli with an amazing texture that is crispy, tender and perfectly seasoned. Plus it is easy to make with only a few ingredients in 20 minutes. Ideal for busy weeknights!
This roasted broccoli quinoa salad can last for a good few days in your fridge, meaning that if you make it today, you’ll have a wholesome, healthy lunch or dinner waiting for you for days to come.
It works as wonderfully as a main as it does part of a summer spread, BBQ or a family picnic.
Do I have to steam broccoli before roasting?
I personally don't steam broccoli before roasting. It literally takes 12 minutes and the taste, texture and crispiness are far better and tastier than steamed broccoli.
However, if you prefer steamed broccoli, you can absolutely steam the broccoli instead.
You could also pop the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with a couple of tablespoons of water and let it cook until tender to bite.
Roasted Broccoli and Quinoa Salad Ingredients
The ingredients for this salad recipe are all simple and seasonal which means they are the most nutritious, ripe, vibrant and simply delicious. Here is what you will need:
- Tenderstem Broccoli - You can use normal broccoli or purple sprouting broccoli too.
- Quinoa - Any quinoa is fine, I just love the multicoloured one the most.
- Spring Onions (Scallions) - Red onion would be also nice or shallots
- Tomatoes - Any tomatoes you have in your fridge. In winter you can use sundried tomatoes instead!
- Garlic, Chilli Flakes, Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper - To make this roasted broccoli salad super flavoursome
- Dressing - You will need tahini, lemon, water, maple syrup and garlic
Preparing the Quinoa
Get a medium-size pot and put the quinoa in along with water. The ratio I use is 2 cups of water for 1 cup of quinoa.
Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water (around 15 minutes) and switch off the heat. Cover, and let the quinoa sit for another 5 minutes.
Then fluff the quinoa up with a fork before serving.
Making the Roasted Broccoli Quinoa Salad
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F and get a medium-size baking tray
STEP TWO: In the baking tray toss together the broccoli, garlic, spring onions (scallions), chilli flakes and olive oil.
STEP THREE: Roast for 15 mins, until golden.
STEP FOUR: Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to the pack instructions.
STEP FIVE: Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
STEP SIX: Add the quinoa to the baking tray with the broccoli and add chopped tomatoes.
STEP SEVEN: Serve drizzled with the dressing, some extra spring onions or any other fresh herbs you like.
Roasted Broccoli Salad Variations:
- No Quinoa? Use brown or wild rice, or cous-cous. Also you can use pre-cooked quinoa. You will need 250g.
- No Tomatoes? Use radishes, peppers or even carrots! You can also use sundried tomatoes.
- Don't Like Tahini? Almond or peanut butter work really well too.
- Packed Lunch Tip. Do not add the dressing to the salad. Instead drizzle the dressing over the bottom of a container, then add the salad ingredients on top. When you’re ready to enjoy your roasted broccoli salad, shake up the prepared container to toss the ingredients with the dressing.
- Storing. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If possible, store your dressing in a separate container.
More Delicious Healthy Salad Recipes:
- Grilled Corn Quinoa Salad
- Chickpea Cucumber Salad with Rocket Pesto
- Healthy Potato Salad
- Cucumber Radish Salad
- Easy Greek Salad
- Blueberry, Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- Healthy White Bean Salad
- 1 pack (220g) tenderstem broccoli, washed and pat dry
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions (scallions) stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 tablespoon tahini, runny
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (more if you like it zesty)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water (to thin out the dressing, add more if needed)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F and get a medium-size baking tray ready.
- In the baking tray toss together the broccoli, garlic, spring onions, chilli flakes and olive oil.
- Roast for 15 mins, until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add the quinoa to the baking tray with the broccoli and add chopped tomatoes.
- Serve drizzled with the dressing, some extra spring onions or any other fresh herbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 266mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts. Also if you want more healthy recipes, check out my Youtube channel. Loads of fabulous and easy recipes waiting for you there.