Smashed Broad Beans Avocado on Toast is a quick, easy and delicious brunch, snack, lunch or dinner idea ready in 15 minutes. Naturally vegan, healthy and seasonal.
Serve it on toast, or toasty pita bread and chopped veggies for a delicious meal.
Are Broad Beans Good For You?
Broad beans! Do you love them or do you hate them? Broad beans, also known as fava beans, are a wonderful legume and a great source of essential nutrients and vitamins.
They are at their best between the months of June to September, so perfect timing for this delicious smashed broad beans and avocado on toast.
Broad beans are high in protein, fibre, manganese, and folate making them a fantastic addition to your diet.
How to Cook Broad Beans?
It is not as difficult as you might think. Pod them, blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes then shock them in ice water before removing the often tough outer coat.
For the best flavour, always double pod the beans. If the pods are young enough you can eat the whole, otherwise just eat the beans as you would with edamame.
About This Smashed Broad Beans Avocado and Toast
All you have to do is boil the broad beans for few minutes and then mash with creamy avocado, and then add a little bit of chilli, lemon and some fresh herbs before spreading onto your favourite toast.
This recipe would be great to bring to picnics or even use as a dip served with freshly cut up vegetables.
- Broad Beans - You will need 500g broad beans, which you will have to pod and boil and then pod again.
- Avocado - You will need 1 ripe avocado. As ripe as possible to create a lovely creamy chunky texture.
- Lemon - You will need juice from one lemon or lime. If you don't have lemon use 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar instead.
- Herbs - For this smashed broad beans I have used coriander, but you can use mint, parsley, dill or whatever herb you fancy
- Salt and Pepper - Taste and season to perfection. You can add a few chilli flakes too for a spicy kick
- Toppings - Cherry Tomatoes, radishes, sweet peppers or anything else you fancy
How Do You Make Smashed Broad Beans and Avocado on Toast?
Step 1: Cook the prepared broad beans for 2-3 mins.
STEP 2: Drain and refresh under cold water, then squeeze to remove the outer skin
STEP 3: Place the avocado, chilli, herbs and lemon juice in a bowl
STEP 4: Add the cooked broad beans and using a fork mash until chunky or smooth ( whatever you preference)
STEP 5: Season with salt and pepper to perfection
STEP 6: Toast the bread and spread a generous amount of the bean mixture on top
STEP 7: Top up with cherry tomatoes, freshly ground black pepper and few chilli flakes
More Great Recipes to Try
Love a toast ? Try some of our other favourite "on toast" recipes.
- Healthy Crushed Pea Bruschetta- a fantastic pea bruschetta made with fresh peas, coconut yoghurt and mint
- Watermelon Bruschetta - easy fresh sweet watermelon bruschetta with feta cheese
- Healthy Toast 3 Ways - 3 delicious toast toppings bursting in flavours
- Avocado, Chickpea, Tomato Toast - a delicious salad combination
- 500g Broad Beans
- 1 medium avocado, ripe and pitted
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 big handful coriander or any other herb
- Salt and pepper to tast
- Toast of your choice
- Cook the prepared broad beans for 2-3 mins.
- Drain and refresh under cold water, then squeeze to remove the outer skin
- Place the cooked broad beans, avocado, chilli, herbs and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Using a fork mash until chunky or smooth ( whatever you preference)
- Season with salt and pepper to perfection
- Toast the bread and spread a generous amount of the bean mixture on top
- Top up with cherry tomatoes, freshly ground black pepper and few chilli flakes or sesame seeds