Today is going to be a quick post dedicated to my beloved cauliflower. I think this the most versatile vegetable. It tastes great raw in salads, very nice in soups, stir-fries, curries, you can use it as a substitute for rice or like me today use it instead of bread.These cauliflower buns will change your life and make you forget bread....well at least for 1 day. They are gluten free, dairy free, flour free, sugar free, paleo friendly and if you use chia egg instead of normal egg they will be vegan friendly too.
Cauliflower is a little powerhouse, it is a good source of vitamin C, K and B6 and indoles, which are the cancer preventing phytonutrients. It also has potassium, protein and iron. Did you know you can even use the outer leaves? Just cut them away, wash them and use as you would any other leafy vegetable.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 large egg or for the vegan version use 1 chia egg (1tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsps water, let sit for 10 min)
- 1 clove garlic,crushed or 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely cut parsley
- coconut oil for greasing
- pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and grease your baking tray with coconut oil.
- Pop the almonds in a food processor and blend till a flour like consistency. If you like a bit more of a thicker texture you can leave it a bit more chunky.
- Grate the cauliflower, whisk the egg and mix all ingredients together.
- If you want more of a bread or a pattie style, form the mixture into a circle. If not create little buns.
- Pop in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Let cool down completely before devouring.
I hope you like these as much as I do. I love them as a snack, with my salad or with a smudge of my Peanut Butter Hummus.