The best way to avoid any late night cravings is to eat enough good complex carbs during the day such as sweet potatoes, oats, quinoa but also fresh fruit, veg, legumes and grains.
At least this is what I learned about myself, whenever I restricted or ate less during the day I craved things late at night. Sometimes this can lead to binge eating which then creates a vicious cycle which is not easy to overcome. I wrote an article recently about how to stop binge eating, so have a read.
Also make sure you fill up with the right meal at dinner time, so include protein and fiber to satisfy your appetite and fill you up for longer.
It is not about the time you snack, but more what you actually snack on. I also want to stress to you to enjoy your treats and don’t make yourself feel guilty or bad, gone are the days of self-hate and feeling guilty.
It is ok to have it (of course every now and again) and enjoy it. I know some of you will probably argue it is high in calories or sugars or fat, but clean eating and my mission isn't about depriving yourself, rather making smarter choices and staying in control.
Late night snack recipe
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp peanut butter or any of your favourite butters
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw cacao or cocoa powder (if using cocoa powder add a bit more)
- Optional: 1 tsp date syrup or any of your favourite sweeteners
- Cut up the banana into slices and spread the nut butter on each slice.
- Stick 2 slices together and place in the freezer for an hour or so
- In the meantime melt coconut oil, cacao and syrup on a very low heat
- Take the banana bites out of the freezer and dip each bite in the melted mixture
- Pop back in the freezer to set
Here you go, how simple and delicious is that? You could also use dark chocolate chips or raw chocolate for dipping and sprinkle with some crushed nuts. As always let me know what you think