Hello and welcome to all pancake lovers! I don't know what it is about Sunday, but every single Sunday morning I crave pancakes. It doesn't always have to be sweet ones of course, I like savoury ones too. Check out my spinach tortillas from last week, they were so tasty and so filling I didn't have to eat anything till lunch time, I was that satisfied (and I'm a serious snacker so that is something if I manage to go without a mid-morning snack). These clean and simple pancakes are exactly what it says on the tin. I used spelt flour, which is my current favourite as it contains more protein, fiber and fats (healthy fats) than wheat flour. It is not gluten-free though, so if you are celiac or gluten intolerant, try buckwheat flour instead.
Clean and simple pancakes
What I love about these clean and simple pancakes is their fluffiness, how airy they are and the fact you don't need any type of sugar. The only sweet touch I added was coconut syrup from Coconut Merchant. I will post a link to Amazon below if you want to buy one, I promise you will not regret it. You only need a tiny bit, I have had this bottle for months and I am not even half way through it.
I used strawberries because they are in season now, but blueberries, raspberries or blackberries would work nicely too. Or you can experiment and try whatever fruit you have at home. Let's get baking!
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup Provamel coconut and rice milk
- 1 flax seed egg - 3 tbsp water +1 tbsp ground flax seeds, let sit for 10 min
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Start by making the flax seed egg, which is 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Next mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a medium size bowl.
- Pour in the milk, fold in the flax seed egg and strawberries.
- Heat a heavy non stick frying pan until very hot, then pop a small amount of coconut oil and swirl it around the pan
- Put around 3 tablespoons of the batter in the pan, distribute evenly and fry gently for about 2-3 minutes or until you are able to turn the pancake over
- Turn over and bake for another 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve them with fresh strawberries and a nice drizzle of coconut syrup
- PS: I usually preheat my oven to 100 degrees and place the finished pancakes in there to keep them warm while I am frying the rest.
If you are after some more spelt flour recipes then check out my Homemade Clean Bread or Clean Chocolate Blondies....you will not be disappointed.