The other day Rachel, one of our challengers from September 3 Month Clean Eating challenge, posted up in the group “Hedi you must make a clean lemon drizzle cake ” and I thought why not give it a go.
I researched the internet to find out what the usual drizzle cake is made of and what I could use to make it a clean lemon drizzle cake and I think I’ve got it.
Just before we proceed to the recipe let me tell you a bit more about coconut sugar. In comparison with normal white sugar, coconut sugar is packed with nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron and vitamin B which are absent in white sugar.
It doesn't spike your blood glucose and insulin like normal sugar does, has low glycemic sugar (Glycemic index of 35 , usual white sugar is around 60), is gluten-free, 0% cholesterol, dairy –free, no preservatives and is non GMO.
For those of you who can’t stand the coconut smell or flavour of it you will be pleased to hear that coconut sugar doesn't have the usual coconut flavour. Funnily enough it has a similar smell and taste to brown sugar with light caramel undertones.
Overall it is much better than your usual sugar, however like with everything you cannot scoff the whole cake down or start putting 4 teaspoons of coconut sugar in your coffee. Moderation my friends, moderation.
Lemon drizzle cake recipe
- Zest and juice from 2 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk (I used Provamel rice and coconut milk)
- For the glaze:
- ½ cup coconut sugar and juice from ½ lemon
- Pre heat oven to 180C and grease a cake tin with a bit of coconut oil.
- Beat the eggs and coconut sugar together with an electric whisk for a good 10 minutes. Add the oil slowly while still whisking. Then add the milk, lemon juice and zest
- In a separate bowl mix the spelt flour with baking powder and then add to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40 - 45mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make a small holes in the cake,so the glaze drips in.Mix the glaze ingredients together until a smooth paste and drizzle over the warm cake
- Let it set for a couple of hours, slice and enjoy!