Christmas wouldn't be complete without a trifle. Don't you just wish there would be a recipe for healthy Christmas trifle with homemade custard and sugar- free jelly topped with pomegranates and crushed gingerbread men? Well today is your lucky day, because this is exactly what we are making together!
This healthy Christmas trifle recipe is sponsored by Naturelly who sent me a Naturelly Jelly Juice pots, plus a contribution towards the ingredients for this recipe. Thank you Naturelly for the support!
Naturelly is a family business making refreshing, juicy, jelly snacks made from real fruit juice. They are amazing with no added sugar or sweeteners that are both approved for pre-school, primary school and secondary school lunch-boxes, after school snacks or as tasty treats ondays out or playing sport. Naturelly is also been approved by the vegetarian and coeliac societies too.
Now back to this trifle recipe. The traditional Christmas trifle is made with double cream, sponge cake, eggs, sugar and alcohol, where my healthier options calls for yogurt, Naturelly jelly pots, homemade custard, pomegranates and homemade gingerbread men while still being absolutely divine and indulgent.
You can of course omit the gingerbread men, but I have on the blog a healthy gingerbread men recipe, so give it a go. If you are being a bit lazy or time is precious you could use shop bought custard, but honestly homemade one is very easy, and you control the ingredients that go in.
Here's the healthy Christmas trifle recipe
- 1 cup oat milk (you can use any other milk)
- 1 tablespoon potato or corn starch
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup (you can use any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of turmeric (don't overdo it otherwise the colour will be orange)
- For the layering
- 250g white yogurt (I used soya with coconut yogurt)
- 2 Naturelly Jelly pots (I used the summer berries flavour)
- 4 tablespoon pomegranates
- 2 crushed gingerbread men
- Toppings optional
- Gingerbread men
- First make the custard:
- In a small pot mix potato starch with milk until there are absolutely no lumps
- Bring slowly to a boil while stirring constantly
- Once boiling reduce heat, add maple syrup and simmer on a low heat for a few minutes until thick and smooth. Keep on stirring to avoid lumps
- Add vanilla extract, remove from heat and let cool down
- Now get 2 nice glasses and cover the bottom with yogurt (save a bit for the top)
- Then take one Naturelly Jelly pot and divide equally between both glasses
- Throw in each glass 1 tablespoon of pomegranates and half of the crushed gingerbread men
- Spoon the custard over the fruit
- Take the other Naturelly Jelly pot and divide again between both glasses
- Top up with any leftover yogurt, decorate with pomegranates and gingerbread
You just can't go wrong with this lush healthy Christmas recipe! If you need more festive recipe make sure you check out my Christmas pudding bites, delicious nut roast recipe or my gingerbread granola.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts. And don’t forget to follow Naturelly on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram too!