My idea of a perfect winter weeknight includes cozying up to this healthy chunky chickpea soup. It's full of flavour, easy to make and with very simple ingredients but WOW result!
Raid your cupboards and I'll bet you'll find all the ingredients to make this...It's ready in less than 30 minutes yet tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen.
Whenever I feel like I am going down with something, this healthy chunky chickpea soup is the first thing on my healing checklist. But it's good when you are well too!
How do you make healthy chunky chickpea soup?
It's really simple. Main ingredient is chickpeas. Dry chickpeas need to soak for several; if you don't have the time, or are just too tempted to try this soup tonight, go ahead and use tinned chickpeas. Next is pasta, I used whole wheat pasta which I cooked before adding it to the soup.
Then you need carrots, celery, vegetable stock, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. That is it! If you have some sprinkle nutritional yeast on top and freshly chopped up parsley.
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into half slices
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped into pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 300g pasta of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Nutritional yeast
- In a medium size pot heat up the oil and "sweat" the onion, garlic, carrots and celery for around 5 minutes
- Add in the oregano, thyme, marjoram and let it fry for another minute or so
- Next pour in the vegetable stock and chickpeas,
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots and celery are softened
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- In the meantime cook the pasta as per package instructions, set aside
- Add pasta in to the pot along with the chopped parsley, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and served with extra parsley leaves
Nothing like a big bowl of soup to warm you up! If you want to try more of my soup recipes check out my Easy Pumpkin Soup or Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup.