Today we are making one pot pasta and beans recipe. Big plate of pasta, for me, is the most comforting of comfort foods and as pleasing to make as it is to eat.
This "pasta e fagioli"(pasta and beans) is a classic Italian dish that's just perfect for a cozy night in or a rainy day like today. Great flavour and a proper texture ready in 30 minutes.
How do you make one pot pasta and beans?
This is the ultimate lockdown recipe. Let me list all the ingredients below to show you that you have them all in your cupboard.
- any type of pasta
- tin of any type of beans
- tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- ½ onion
- pint of vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- optional: spinach
- optional: nutritional yeast
Got all that? Let's get cooking this nutritious and delicious vegan recipe that will help you stay healthy and happy during these tough times. If you are after some more comforting recipes, than check out my Easy Lentil and Aubergine Dhal or oat risotto aka Oatsotto.
- 200g of your favourite pasta (I used conchiglie)
- 1 tin of beans (I used cannellini beans)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Optional:2 tbsp nutritional yeast and 1 handful of spinach
- Serve with : chopped fresh parsley and ground black pepper
- In a large pot fry in a bit of oil onion, carrot and celery until they start to soften.
- Next add in garlic and smoked paprika and stir it all together
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, veggie stock and the pasta
- Cook for around 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Make sure you stir it occasionally and taste to adjust seasoning.
- Now add in the beans and (if you are using) the spinach and nutritional yeast and cook for a minute or so.
- Serve it with some freshly chopped basil
Remember - always taste test! If it's bland or boring...add more salt, pepper, basil...try it and see.As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts