Clean eating butternut squash stew is comfort food at its best. This is a proper carb loaded, delicious recipe that will make you feel good at anytime of the day. A diet rich in carbs is, in my humble opinion, the healthiest and most effective way to stay slim for life. Of course I don’t mean refined carbs that are full of additives, preservatives, sugar and junk food. I mean beautiful carbs that are full of fibre, antioxidants, minerals, and nutrients helping you to feel full longer and maintain a healthy weight. My clean eating butternut squash stew is no different.
Studies have shown that carb eaters feel happier, calmer and with loads of energy. I am definitively one of those carboholics and often get asked “what are you on Hedi” and I always answer ” ON CARBS BABY” 🙂
Today I am using butternut squash. I really love it, it has a rich, sweet,creamy flavour when cooked and makes a great alternative to pumpkin. If you dont know what butternut squash is then look out for a large pear shaped squash with yellow skin and vibrant orange flesh. Do not eat the skin, it is inedible and has to be removed along with the seeds. Do not throw the seeds away though! Mix them with some spices and tamari soya sauce and roast them in the pan. Delicious!
Clean eating butternut squash stew recipe
Before you start cooking , cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds and fibrous parts with a spoon. Next peel the skin off or cut the skin using a sharp knife. Next ingredient is chickpeas, but if you don’t have a spare tin in the cupboard feel free to use beans instead. For spices and herbs I opted for turmeric, smoked paprika, a touch of chilli and oregano all of which make this stew rich, hearty and such a comfort food
- 1 butternut squash, cut in to small pieces
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes or passata
- 3 handfulls kale
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp smoked or ground paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- few chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for a few minutes until it softens.
- Add garlic, smoked paprika, turmeric, chilli flakes and fry for another couple of minutes
- Next add the butternut squash and fry for a couple more minutes
- Tip in the chickpeas, tomatoes,water, then season and bring to the boil. Then cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until the squash is tender and the sauce has thickened and reduced slightly.
- Now scatter over the kale and cook for another 2 minutes more until wilted and slightly cooked
- Ladle into bowls and serve with some ryvita crispbread .
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts