After the success of my spelt bread and wholemeal loaf, I am here with another delicious and super easy recipe for clean eating spelt rolls recipe.
Bread is not the devil when you know what’s in it, or when it is freshly homemade as you won’t add those devilish extras like starches, chemicals, sweeteners and other artificial stuff which you often find in shop bought versions. In my opinion, the worst tend to be sliced, sandwich breads, just look at the labels, there are like 15 ingredients in there.
My clean eating spelt rolls recipe is easy and requires only 5 ingredients if you don’t count water. These rolls or buns are gorgeous little things, perfect for dipping in my sweet potato coconut soup or, served with a nice dollop of your favourite nut butter or hummus. These are small, so are perfect for helping you with managing your portions. I know how hard it can be to control yourself when you have lovely smelling warm bread in front of you and no willpower. I made them small on purpose, the whole batch makes 6 small ones, but you could create 3 bigger ones instead.
For toppings, I have used sea salt flakes, sunflower seeds and black sesame seeds, but use whatever you have in your cupboards, don’t go out and spend money on the ones I’ve used.
Here is the clean eating spelt rolls recipe
- 2 cups spelt flour
- ½ cup unsweetened milk or any other milk you have in the fridge
- 1 packet dry yeast (7 g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg (omit if you are plant-based and just use a bit of milk)
- Toppings; sea salt flakes, sunflower seeds, black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 240/220 fan and line your baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together thoroughly, knead for good few minutes and let it rise for about 1 hour in a warm place.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces for small buns or, 3 for bigger ones, form into a roll/bun shape and place on the prepared baking tray.
- Whisk the egg and use as a wash to coat the rolls with it. For a plant-based version, use a bit of milk instead of eggs.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, sunflower and sesame seeds and bake in a preheated oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts