Haaaappy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday to meeeeee! Yes, it’s my birthday today, 21 again! Remember, it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years. So here’s hoping the year ahead is as successful, full and as healthy as possible!
Today I’ve decided to make my own birthday cake, a healthy, clean and tasty birthday cake with an almond and coconut flour crust.
In this recipe you will not need any type of sugar or sweetener, just the ripest, sweetest tropical fruit. I love mangoes and at the moment they seem so ripe, tasty and affordable, so I wanted them to be the main ingredient here. If you combine the mango with oranges and coconut oil, you get gorgeous tropical flavours which will evoke feelings of a beautiful summer’s day and holiday time. At least this is how I feel now….awwww bring on the summer!
- 1 cup almonds
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 flax seed egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water, mix and let it sit for 10 mins)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup orange
- 1 ripe mango
- 6 tbsp melted coconut oil (I used Coconut Merchant)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Start by preheating your oven to 180 C and greasing your pie form with a bit of coconut oil.
- Pop the almonds into the food processor and pulse until a flour consistency. Add coconut flour, the flax seed egg and melted coconut oil and combine until a dough ball forms.
- Next roll the dough between two sheets of kitchen wrap, then gently take it out of the wrap and press into the pie form.
- Pop in the oven and bake for around 25 min or until firm and a light brown colour.
- In the meantime blend the orange, mango, lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Once the pie crust is baked and has cooled down pour the mango mixture in and place in the fridge to set for 2 hours.
- Devour immediately!
You can sprinkle over it some desiccated coconut or raw cacao nibs, coconut syrup or healthy chocolate sauce . As always if you make this tropical pie with healthy crust, do let me know in the comments below what you thought of it!