These easy breakfast peanut slices are the nicest way to start your day. They're slightly tart, just sweet enough, have the best texture and they're also gluten and dairy free making them suitable for everyone.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The perfect seasonal summer breakfast or dessert: These peanut slices + cup of tea = perfect breakfast or dessert anytime. They're peanuty, little bit tart, moist and absolutely delicious.
- Super simple recipe: You only need simple ingredients, and there are no advanced baking skills necessary. Just boil, mix, and bake
- Vegan: These are not only gluten free but also vegan which means everyone can have these
INGREDIENTS FOR THESE BREAKFAST PEANUT SLICES
Here's everything you'll need to make these breakfast peanut bars:
- Oats: I used porridge oats in this recipe because they work very well and create a lovely texture. To make these bars gluten-free I used certified GF porridge oats.
- Peanut Butter: I used 100% peanut butter with nothing added, but I'd imagine other varieties like almond butter would also work well.
- Chia Jam -You can follow my Easy Chia Jam (2 ingredients only) recipe but instead of cherries I used strawberries but you might need to add a bit more chia seeds. See the recipe.
- Maple Syrup - You can also swap with date syrup or another liquid sweetener of choice
- Sliced Almonds - Feel free to omit these or swap with other nuts of choice (Crushed pecans would be great!). If you're allergic to nuts, you can use sunflower or pumpkin seeds instead.
- Flaxseed Egg - Chia egg also works fine
- Apple Sauce - Or apple puree or small mashed up banana
- Cinnamon - This is a must, just makes these breakfast peanut slices outstanding
- I love serving these warm with a scoop of homemade ice cream. Is there anything better?!
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (
Breakfast Peanut Slices
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 ½ cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup apple sauce or apple puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 flax seeds or chia egg (mix 1 tablespoon flax seeds with 3 tablespoon of water and let sit for 10 minutes)
- ½ cup sliced or flakes almonds
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees and line your baking tin with baking paper
- Start with making the chia jam by placing all the ingredients in a small pot and simmering for around 5 minutes. Squash the strawberries so the jam is not too chunky
- Next combine oats, apple sauce, cinnamon and flaxseed egg in a bowl
- Mix maple syrup and peanut butter together and put in a microwave for 20 second to melt
- Pour the peanut mixture into the oats mixture and combine thoroughly so all oats are fully coated.
- Set ½ cup of the oat mixture aside for crumble
- Put the remaining oat mixture into your prepared baking tin.
- Press down firmly.
- Spread the strawberry chia jam on the top and crumble the reserved ½ cup of oat mixture over it
- Top up with sliced almonds. Press the topping down making sure it sticks well.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and enjoy loads!
I'm getting hungry just looking at these Hedi!
Haha! You have to make them Lorna, you just have to 🙂 xxx
You have to make them Lorna, you just have to :-)))
Could I just use clean strawberry jam?
Yes you can Natali. Hedi xxx
If I was to use a jar of already made up apple sauce how much would I use?
These looks lovely! Can I just ask how long would they keep for? Can I keep them in the fridge etc?
Awww thank you Jo, then keep for up to 5 days in the fridge lovely. Hedi xxx
I am making these tonight for the first time and just wondering would they freeze well?
Yes they do Sarah. Please let me know how you got on lovely! Hedi xx
if i was to use applesauce instead of an apple . how much should i use"?
Use half a cup lovely x x