Looking for a deliciously healthy and low carb dinner? This cauliflower steak with lentils is hearty, filling, naturally vegan and gluten-free too! Honestly, there's nothing not to love.
I absolutely love cauliflower, it's nature's superfood. And it's something we should all be eating on a regular basis to keep our hearts and bodies healthy.
The great news is that it's also a super versatile vegetable! You can use cauliflower for just about anything, even in rice pudding, in a comforting soup, as a pasta sauce, or roasted whole in the oven.
Whether you're brand-new to plant-based eating, you're a long time vegan stuck in a rut, or you just want to add some delicious new recipes to your repertoire, this cauliflower steak with smoky spinach lentils is a truly satisfying dish that the whole family will love!
Ingredients for Vegan Cauliflower Steak
The cauliflower, lentils and spinach in this recipe are enhanced by a few select herbs and spices that bring everything together beautifully. Here's what you'll need:
- Cauliflower head (cut lengthwise into steaks)
- Lentils (canned is fine)
- Fresh spinach (baby or regular)
- Garlic (minced)
- Olive oil
- Paprika (normal or smoked)
- Apple cider vinegar (white is ok if you don't have apple cider)
- Chili powder (or flakes)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: Cherry tomatoes, plant-based yoghurt, chilli flakes
How to Make Cauliflower Steaks - the Prep
Preheat your oven to 200C / 400F
First, get a decent sized cauliflower, then remove the outer leaves and trim/level the stem end. Don't completely remove it as the stem helps to keep it all together.
Next, get a good sharp knife and cut right through the centre of the cauliflower head. This will keep the florets nicely together. You should be able to cut 3 - 4 thick slices.
Don't throw away the remaining florets, just roast them alongside the cauliflower steaks, and enjoy them as a side to your main cauliflower steak.
Place your cauliflower steaks on a roasting/baking tray.
Whisk together your olive oil and spices and brush it over the steaks to coat evenly.
Pop them in the oven to roast for 35-40 minutes until fork tender and golden brown.
How to Make Roasted Cauliflower with Lentils
While your cauliflower steaks are roasting, we can prepare the smoky spinach lentils.
In a medium pot heat up the oil and add in the minced garlic. Fry for a minute or so and then add in smoked paprika and ground cumin and fry for a further 30 seconds.
Next add in the lentils, spinach and vinegar.
Fry for 3-4 minutes or until the spinach is wilted
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If the lentils are too thick or sticking to the pot add a splash of water.
Serve the lentils on top of the cauliflower steaks with some cherry tomatoes, yoghurt and extra chilli flakes.
What to Serve with this Cauliflower and Lentils Recipe
These vegan cauliflower steaks with smoky lentils are an amazing healthy lunch or dinner on their own, but if you want a larger or more hearty meal, you could serve with any of the following:
- Sweet potato kale mash
- Roasted vegetables such as potatoes, brocolli, or pumpkin
- Turmeric rice
Cauliflower Steaks with Lentils Variations
If you feel like changing up this recipe, please do! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add some capers to your lentil mix
- Use sundried tomatoes as a garnish if fresh tomatoes aren't in season
- Add some kalamata olives for a mediterranean flair!
Other vegan cauliflower recipes to try:
- One pan cauliflower bake
- Roasted cauliflower soup
- Whole roasted cauliflower
- Cauliflower alfredo pasta
- Cauliflower rice pudding (for something a little different!)
Cauliflower steak with lentils
This cauliflower steak with smoky spinach lentils recipe is packed with protein, fiber, flavour, and makes a great weeknight dinner. It's vegan and gluten-free too!
- 1 Cauliflower, cut lengthwise into steaks (see notes above)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika (normal or smoked)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (or flakes)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
Smoky Spinach Lentils
- 1 can lentils (400g / 14oz) rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cherry tomatoes, yogurt, chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F
- Place cauliflower steaks on a baking tray.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, paprika, chilli powder, oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Brush the olive oil mixture equally over the tops of the cauliflower steaks.
- Roast cauliflower steaks in the oven for 35-40 minutes until tender and golden brown.
- While the steaks are roasting prepare your smoky spinach lentils
- In a medium pot heat up the oil and add in the minced garlic. Fry for a minute or so and then add in smoked paprika and ground cumin and fry for further 30 seconds
- Next add in the lentils, spinach and vinegar
- Fry for 3 -4 minutes or until the spinach has wilted
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If the lentils are too thick or sticking to the pot, add a splash of water.
- Serve the lentils on top of the cauliflower steaks with some cherry tomatoes, yoghurt and extra chilli flakes.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts
Oh my. Just tried the cauliflower steak and lentil recipe. Amazing!! I had it with red cabbage with caraway seeds and red wine vinegar.
Wow your version Carrie sounds amazing! I might try it myself. Hedi x o x o