I know how badly you wanted it , so here it is…..roll out the red carpet for clean eating mayonnaise recipe! Personally I never liked mayonnaise, but I got so many requests to create it that I decided to make it just for you.
Actually I am pleased how it turned out. I did massive research on how to make it thick and lush and the key is to keep the oil as cold as possible. So before you start doing anything place the oil in the fridge. I used cold pressed rapeseed oil. Cold pressed oils are the best because the temperature doesn't go high enough to destroy all the nutrients but they also keep the lovely aroma and flavour.
Clean eating mayonnaise recipe
Traditional mayonnaise recipes call only for oil, but to lighten it up and reduce the amount of oil I replaced some of it with yogurt. It works! It is lighter, but still creamy and lush. I used soya yogurt but I believe this would work wonders with full fat Greek yogurt too. Please don’t use low fat or zero fat yogurts, they are full of chemicals, starches and other additives.
The rest of the ingredients for this easy clean eating mayonnaise recipe are egg yolk, apple cider vinegar and mustard. For mustard use Dijon mustard, it adds a better kick to the mayo. Salt and pepper for seasoning and that is it. Please remember this mayo contains raw egg, so always store in the fridge, maximum up to 5 days, preferably less.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ½ cup (100 ml) cold pressed rapeseed oil (remember the oil must be cold)
- ¾ cup your favourite white yogurt (around 200 gr)
- Squeeze of lemon
- Fresh herbs, I used parsley
- In a food processor start whisking the egg yolk, mustard and pinch of salt.
- Next starting adding the oil, very slowly while still blending.
- Add vinegar and season with salt and pepper
- Blend for a minute or so and then add the yogurt
- Taste and if needed squeeze in some lemon juice and extra seasoning.
- Keep in the fridge
I found this brilliant article on how to make the perfect mayonnaise and there are some great tips, have a read.
This clean eating mayonnaise is not as thick as your usual one, but it is healthier, contains a lot less oil and is very quick to make.