Hello, hello! Today I am sharing dairy free quinoa risotto recipe, which is my healthy twist on the classic recipe.
Traditional risotto is loved for its creamy texture and rich taste, but don't worry, I have some good news for you. My dairy free quinoa risotto has all that and more!Quinoa, lauded as a superfood is naturally creamy while giving you more protein and keeping you fuller for longer. I love my quinoa porridge, it really keeps me full all morning. Recipe here if you fancy trying it. Quinoa, which can be bought in all major supermarkets and health stores, is falsely thought of as a grain — it's a seed! It's gluten-free and has twice the protein of an equal amount of brown rice!Instead of the usual parmesan cheese, I have used cashews and nutritional yeast. If you have never heard of nutritional yeast then let me tell you that it’s the holy grail for those of us that don’t do dairy. It has a strong nutty/cheesy flavour which makes it a brilliant ingredient in cheese substitutes. I absolutely love it and use it in dressings, sauces, dips, sprinkled o a salad or just mixed with pasta as a quick lunch or dinner idea. You can get it here Organic Nutritional Yeast Flakes 125g
Here's the dairy free quinoa risotto recipe
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- For the 'parmesan cheese', place the cashew nuts into a blender and process for few seconds to get a flour-like consistency. Mix together with the nutritional yeast and set aside.
- In a medium sized pan heat the oil and add finely chopped onions. Fry for 20 seconds, then add the quinoa and nutmeg, mix thoroughly to cover entirely with oil and pour in half of the veggie stock.
- Stir frequently and once the liquid has been absorbed, add the remaining half of the stock along with the frozen peas. It should take about half an hour.
- Once done, take off the heat, mix in the 'parmesan cheese', fresh spinach and season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately with chopped spinach scattered over the top
This dairy free quinoa risotto recipe has a delicate, soft texture and couldn’t be easier to make! What I love about this dish is that there is no need for butter, cream or cheese, you can cook it using a simple mixture of stock and/or water, add in your favourite ingredients, let it slowly thicken and voila, you’re left with a perfect pot of 'risotto'.