Oh yes, you read it right… it's a Pina Colada ice cream recipe! Thank you to Californian Walnuts for sending me some of their nuts for free so that I can both taste test them and challenge myself to create something different.
Pina colada is one of my all-time favourite cocktails. I think pineapple and coconut are the perfect marriage and even more so when you add fresh lime juice and extra coconut. Now, imagine all of that in an ice cream served with a generous sprinkle of crushed walnuts and crushed cocoa nibs. If you wanted to add even more 'zing' (you only live once!), you could add some rum essence to make it more like the 'real thing'.
I love these Californian Walnuts as they are bursting with wholesome, plant-based goodness. And thanks to the unique conditions they’re grown in, they have a mild, sweet and naturally creamy taste.
Here are my 10 reasons as to why walnuts = wellness
1. Helps to keep your heart healthy
2. Boosts your energy
3. Packed with plant-based omega-3
4. Protects your natural defences
5. Helps to keep tiredness at bay
6. Supports brain function and vision
7. Helps to keep your skin and hair nourished
8. Helps to keep your bones and teeth healthy
9. Packed with good fats
10. Nutritious snack
This pina colada ice cream recipe is gluten and dairy free, needs only three ingredients, 5 minutes of your time and no ice cream maker. Are you sold yet? Yes? Well, let’s start making!
Here's the Pina Colada ice cream recipe
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk or cream of coconut
- Juice from ½ lime
- Optional and to make it even better:
- Drizzle of maple syrup for touch of sweetness
- 1 teaspoon coconut essence
- 1 teaspoon rum essence
- Crushed walnuts
- Crushed cacao nibs
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blitz. Scrape down the sides and continue to blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Scoop into a bowl and enjoy immediately as soft serve or, place in an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 1 hour before scooping.
- Add a generous sprinkle of crushed walnuts and cacao nibs.
And there you have it - a simple, creamy, homemade, dairy-free pina colada ice cream bursting with coconut and pineapple flavours. Once again, thank you to California Walnuts for sending me their nuts in exchange for the challenge of creating a simple and delicious recipe for you! Make sure you follow California Walnuts on their Facebook Page, Twitter and Instagram.
Don't forget to give a try my 2 ingredients banana ice cream, recipe here. As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts