For some reason, lately all I have seen is nachos everywhere. Adverts, Facebook newsfeeds, TV shows and more. I took it as a sign and created this lush, very satisfying sweet potato nachos recipe.
I am sure you are aware of my sweet potatoes obsession. It is not because they are that much better than traditional white potatoes, I just love their texture, gentle sweetness and most of all, versatility.This sweet potato nachos recipe is just insanely good. It’s loaded with my favourite toppings including black beans, sweetcorn, mashed avocado and white yoghurt, mixed with a touch of lemon to resemble sour cream. There are loads of different recipes, but this is my take on healthier nachos. This is my ultimate comfort food!For all of you carnivores, you can add shredded chicken or mince beef on top. I have used soya yoghurt, but you could use any other white yoghurt or if you want to make it even more indulgent, go for coconut cream. For the avocado bit, I just mashed up half an avocado with a bit of water and salt, but you could give my light guacamole a try as it's made with a secret ingredient to keep it lower in fat. The best bit about this recipe is you can make it the way you love it, beans or no beans, hot or mild, cheese or no cheese or just loads of avocado.Another thing I like about these nachos is that it gets all done on one baking tray. Not a lot of mess, but you get a big and tasty result. Just make sure you layer the potato slices in a single layer on the baking sheet to ensure they are crispy. Sometimes, when I can be bothered and have plenty of time, I soak them in a bowl of water. This helps to remove some of the starch and make them crispier.
Here's the sweet potato nachos recipe
- 2 small or 1 very large sweet potato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- Sprinkle of crushed chilli flakes
- ½ can black beans
- ½ can sweetcorn
- ½ avocado, mashed with touch of salt and tablespoon of water
- ½ cup white yoghurt, mixed with 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Optional: Mozzarella, crushed chilli flakes or cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl (if soaking make sure they are patted dry) and add all the spices along with the oil.
- Mix well to ensure every slice is coated.
- Place the slices onto a large baking tray in a single layer.
- Bake for around 15–20 minutes and then flip over for another 5 minutes.
- Once baked, removed from the oven and top with beans, sweetcorn, guacamole, yoghurt and crushed chilli flakes.
- If using mozzarella, sprinkle over and pop under the grill for 5 minutes or until slightly melted.
- Serve immediately.
How easy and delicious is this sweet potato nachos recipe? If you are after some more sweet potato recipes make sure you check out my sweet potato hasselback recipe, my sweet potato brownies or sweet potato smoothie!