Have you seen butternut squash noodles in Marks and Spencer? They are the latest addition to low carb pasta along with the famous zoodles, also known as courgetti, carrot noodles and sweet potato noodles. Today I am sharing my clean broccoli soup with butternut squash noodles recipe because you lovely lot asked for it!
You may say “Hedi why do you buy the noodles rather than making them yourself?” The honest answer is I am a mum of 2, with a busy full time job down in London, so a hefty commute is my daily bread (almost 2 hours each way) and time is precious….. really precious. Quick and simple meals are my thing, so if I can save time by popping into my local M&S and grabbing a bad of butternut squash noodles, I will not think twice. I don’t see it as being lazy, I see it as saving time which I can spend with my family or chatting to you lot on Facebook about my 3 Month Clean Eating challenge or just sharing my latest clean food finds which you happen to love. Btw, talking about the clean eating challenge, the next one starts on 01 February, are you in? It is truly life changing guys and will change the way you look at food forever. You can always email me for more info if you want to.
Clean broccoli soup with butternut squash noodles
Back to the recipe. I have been very lucky and got sent this amazing machine from the lovely people at Tefal. I tell you something this thing rocks! It makes soups, sauces, helps with kneading my homemade bread, serves as a slow cooker, but also steams veggies. I have put it to use straight away with these butternut squash noodles and can reveal that my first impression is brilliant. I will be posting my review of the Tefal Cuisine Companion on here soon, I just want to test it and use it a bit more until my final comments. Stay tuned!
This clean broccoli soup with butternut squash noodles is another simple recipe of mine. All you have to do is steam the noodles, and in the meantime fry an onion along with the broccoli and add a bit of yogurt or coconut cream to make it more thick and serve with steamed butternut squash noodles. I saved time using the Tefal Cuisine companion because it literally lets you chuck all the ingredients in, select the right programme and watch the magic happen. This soup is not creamy, it is more liquid hence the noodles to thicken it up and do some slurping. If you are after thick creamy soups, have a look at my sweet potato coconut soup or creamy pea and basil soup, they are luxuriously creamy!
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 – 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 pint of veggie stock or any other stock (make sure no sugar and low sodium, if possible)
- 2 -3 tbsp Provamel soya yogurt (any other one will do nicely too)
- 1 bag butternut squash noodles, steamed
- Coconut oil or olive oil for frying
- Heat coconut oil in a pan over a medium heat and add the diced onion. Cook until softened, add garlic and give a quick fry.
- Next stir in the broccoli, add water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook until very tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit and puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Add in yogurt before tasting and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a generous amount of butternut squash noodles, freshly ground pepper and decorate with small blobs of yogurt
There you have it, easy, simple and quick clean broccoli soup with butternut squash noodles recipe. It will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days and a good 3 months in the freezer ready to be taken out and enjoyed as a quick lunch or light supper. This soup is also a kid-friendly way to eat more veggies. If you make it, don’t forget to share your pictures with me either on my Facebook page or Instagram with hashtag #hedihearts