I don’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day, but in case you do, here is something special, pretty easy to make and oozing with loads of chocolate love… my clean eating chocolate cake recipe also known as Molten Lava cake. I am sure this will win the heart of your loved one and if not, at least you can drown your sorrows in it… especially in the melted, gooey chocolate that comes out when you cut it.
This clean eating chocolate cake recipe calls for only 8 ingredients and I bet you have them all in your cupboard. A few things to mention before we start making and baking. It is critical to whip the eggs for 4-5 minutes as the cake has very little flour and no raising agent (baking powder or soda), as it is the whipped air in the eggs that give this cake its structure. Make sure the cake doesn’t get overbaked, or it will turn very chewy. You will know it is done when the outside crust feels firm but the centre is still gooey or ‘molten’.
Btw, my healthy breakfast bar recipe just got published in the free Voucherbox Low-Cost Recipes cookbook. The recipe is made with only 3 ingredients and 1 serving will cost you a whole 20p! There are other 22 recipes created by fellow food and lifestyle bloggers, all of which can be adjusted to be clean, healthy and nutritious. I love contributing and supporting these activities because I am a firm believer that you can eat healthy on a very small budget. You can read the book in here.
Here’s the clean eating chocolate cake recipe
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon cacao + more for dusting the ramekins
- 115g raw chocolate (or dark chocolate), roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil + more for greasing the ramekins
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of honey, maple syrup or date nectar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 210c/190c fan.
- Grease four ramekins with coconut oil and dust with cacao.
- Mix together the almond flour and cacao then set aside.
- Put the chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe container and microwave for 15 seconds, mixing well each time, until it’s melted, shiny and smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the eggs, honey, vanilla and salt, then beat for 5 minutes with an electric hand or stand blender, until the eggs are very frothy and pale yellow in colour.
- Gently stir the melted chocolate into the mixture and add the sifted almond flour and cacao mix. Very gently fold over the flour into the egg mixture, taking care not to deflate the whipped air.
- Divide the batter equally among the four ramekins and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the outside is firm to touch.
- Serve warm with raspberries, a drizzle of melted chocolate or a dollop of coconut cream.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts