Hello, hello, I think a good few of you lovely readers will be happy today. I listened to all of your recipe requests and here is the very popular clean eating Swiss roll recipe. I know, I know, it’s incredibly exciting and guess what? You only need a few ingredients and I bet you have most of them in the cupboard already.
Before we get to this gorgeous clean eating Swiss roll recipe, I want to let you know that the March challenge is now open and we already have 5 men in there! That has never happened before and I am mega excited because men do extremely well on this challenge. If you need to know more, check Helo Health or drop me an email. I’m not exaggerating when I say it is life changing.
Back to the Swiss roll recipe. A traditional Swiss roll recipe calls for caster sugar, vegetable oil and white flour but mine has none of that, only good ingredients. I will be honest with you. This clean eating Swiss roll cake recipe is a little complicated and can turn messy, but it is totally worth the effort. Just have patience and faith, it works.
Here are a few tips before we get baking. The sponge is not very sweet, but when combined with the sweet whipped coconut cream filling, the sweetness of the entire dessert is just perfect. However, if you want a sweeter sponge that can be eaten by itself, then increase the amount of coconut sugar to ¾ cup. You can use cocoa powder instead of cacao, but add slightly more as cacao is far richer than cocoa. The recipe for the whipped coconut cream filling can be found here. But if you can’t be bothered to make it, make this chia jam recipe instead!
Here’s the clean eating Swiss roll recipe
- For the roll
- 120g raw chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- Pinch of salt
- For the filling
- 1 cup of whipped coconut cream
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 5 tbsp of cacao or cocoa powder to dust the roll
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Grease an 18" x 13" (46cm x 33cm) baking tray and line it with baking paper.
- Combine the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 15-second bursts, mixing well each time, until it’s shiny and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the egg yolks and coconut sugar with an electric hand or stand mixer, and beat at high speed for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is thick, (almost a mayonnaise consistency) and is pale yellow in colour.
- Add the melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture and whisk well.
- Beat egg whites, along with a pinch of salt at high speed with an electric hand or stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate-egg yolk in three, separate spoonfuls. Take your time to fold in the whipped egg whites carefully, do not rush and deflate the whipped air.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake at for 15-18 minutes or until puffed and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the roll from the oven and place a clean tea towel over the baking sheet to prevent the roll from drying out.
- After 10-15 minutes, when the roll is cool enough to touch but still slightly warm, remove the towel and dust the entire surface with 1 and ½ tablespoons of cocoa powder. Cover the roll again with the tea towel ensuring it covers it all
- Place the back of another baking sheet over the towel and turn the roll onto it. Gently peel back the parchment paper or the silicone liner. Dust this side of the roll too, with another 1 and ½ tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Now carefully roll the roll up with the towel inside it and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, add the coconut cream and a tablespoon of honey to a chilled bowl. Either with an electric hand or stand mixer, whip it at high speed for 3-4 minutes, or until it is light and fluffy with soft peaks.
- Once the roll is cooled, carefully unroll the towel.
- Spread the whipped coconut cream filling evenly over the roll, leaving a border of about an inch.
- Using the tea towel as a guide, reroll the cake (it is fine if it has a few cracks). Gently place it on a serving platter.
- Wrap the serving platter tightly with a cling film and place it in the refrigerator to chill overnight or at least for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, dust the entire cake lightly with another 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to hide any cracks or imperfection. Slice and serve cold with fresh fruits.
There you have it, a clean eating Swiss roll recipe with simple ingredients, but loads of flavours and a great texture. It’s a traditional dessert recipe that the whole family will love!
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts