Autumn and winter time can be challenging when it comes to getting your five-a-day in, but rest assured I am here to help. I am sure you have noticed that I am on a mission to show that healthy living and clean eating recipes won’t make you go bankrupt , so meet my creamy pea and basil soup made with only a few ingredients.
Pea is one of my winter cupboard, or shall I say, freezer staples . I Love the bright green colour, but also the gentle sweet taste, and the price tag that comes with it. Of course if you can get your hands on fresh peas go for it, but if you can’t don’t feel bad about using frozen peas… I don’t 🙂 To be honest most frozen vegetables are picked and processed so quickly they often retain more nutrients than fresh ones. Each time I make this pea and basil soup I am always so amazed that something so tasty, creamy and quick can come from a bag of frozen peas, a handful of basil and a tin of coconut milk.
For this recipe I used Coconut Merchant tinned coconut milk. Those guys spoil me rotten and allow me to be one of the first bloggers to taste and test their new products. I always get excited seeing the postman walking to my house carrying a package wrapped up in foil and with Coconut Merchant written all over it. You are probably wondering why I use basil instead of the traditional mint….the honest truth is that I had no mint just some basil , so I thought why not give it a whisk and boy it turned out lovely!
You should get out of this recipe 2 main meals or 4 as entrée aka starters. You can freeze it and save it for another day or take it to work and reheat in the microvawe. I like to serve it with either homemade bread, or ryvita crackers. Either sprinkle them on top or dunk them….ummm delicious
Creamy pea and basil soup recipe
- 3 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 1 tin coconut milk (I used coconut merchant)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil for frying
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot on a medium heat, then add the onion, cover and fry, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the frozen peas , garlic, salt, pepper and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, basil leaves and cook until the peas are soft.
- Transfer the soup into a blender and puree the soup until very smooth. You can add water if the texture is too thick for you.
- Taste and add seasoning as required. If serving hot, return the soup to the pot and bring just to a simmer.
This creamy pea and basil soup is just a delight that costs less than 2 pounds, but tastes much more. It is another easy and delicious dish showing that clean eating can be done with very little money, but loads of creativity. Let me know if you like this soup and what you would serve it with?