Summer is coming up thick and fast so I am hitting the gym more. I try to eat more protein-rich foods and quinoa is a brilliant protein source for us plant based gym-goers, so here I am sharing a clean eating quinoa lentil salad recipe.
Quinoa is a brilliant grain packed with many essential vitamins and minerals as well as protein. Quinoa is a grain crop that is grown for its edible seeds. It is pronounced KEEN-wah. There are three main types: white, red and black. The black quinoa contains all the goodness of regular quinoa with the addition of vitamin E, which is known to help protect our cells from damage by free radicals.
Quinoa is an excellent protein source post exercise, so this quinoa lentil salad recipe is a brilliant post workout lunch! Protein is a fantastic macronutrient that helps keep our appetite at bay. This delicious and very simple mix of protein and carbs will ensure you are getting a nice protein boost. If you have an avocado lying around, add some on the top to get some healthy fats in. This is delicious with a little dollop of yoghurt on the side too, if you don’t fancy making the dressing.
If quinoa does tickle your fancy you have to check these delicious recipes out.
- Quinoa breakfast porridge
- Quinoa and buckwheat crunch
- Quinoa pilaf
- Blueberry and Avocado Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Broccoli & Quinoa Salad
Here's the clean eating quinoa lentil salad recipe
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup green lentils
- ½ orange pepper
- 5-6 radishes
- juice of ½ lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Kallo vegetable stock cube
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish:
- handful of pomegranate seeds
- sprinkle of parsley
- 1 heaped tbsp tahini
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa as per the instructions on the packet using the stock cube to add flavour.
- While the quinoa is cooking, pour the green lentils into a sieve and rinse under cold water. Place into a pan, cover with 2 cups of cold water and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook on a simmering heat for 25-30 mins and then taste. The lentils should have softened but still have a slightly firm bite.
- Dice the pepper, thinly slice the radishes and chop the parsley.
- Once the quinoa and lentils are both cooked, pour them into a big bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- For the dressing, mix all ingredients together, taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving, and garnish with a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley.
- This is best eaten on the day but will keep fresh in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge
I like to serve it in a bowl , but it goes well in a wrap if you are on the go. As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts