Easy, delicious and protein-packed Avocado and Blueberry Quinoa Salad. Make it ahead tonight, then reap the rewards in the days to come! Brilliant for meal prepping, picnics, family lunch or just a perfect light dinner recipe.
Blueberries are nature's superfood and they are in season now, which means they are full of sweet flavour and bursting with nutrients. This salad will quickly become your firm summer favourite.
About This Avocado Blueberry Quinoa Salad
Although this avocado quinoa salad recipe only requires simple ingredients, together they are delicious and fresh.
The sweet plump blueberries, crispy chickpeas, creamy avocado and filling mix of quinoa and brown rice make this salad hearty and satisfying.
Blueberry, Quinoa and Avocado Salad Ingredients
- Rocket + Spinach. I love using two types of greens in this salad for variety. The rocket adds a bit of peppery flavour and the spinach adds a nice crispness.
- Blueberries. Beautiful, plump sweet blueberries are a must for this salad recipe.
- Avocado. I added avocado because of its creamy texture and nutritional value. It is high in potassium, fibre and healthy fats, and it makes the salad more filling.
- Chickpeas. Chickpeas not only add a light nutty flavour, but they also pump up the protein and fibre in this salad. Make sure you roast them with the spices to add a nice crunch to the salad.
- Grains. I used whatever leftover I had, which was mainly quinoa, but also a good handful of brown rice. You can use just quinoa, just brown rice, or a mix like I did.
- Dressing. A bright and zesty blend of lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
How to Make Quinoa Salad with Blueberries and Avocado
- Mix the chickpeas with olive oil, smoked paprika and turmeric and roast in the oven for around 20 minutes
- Add the almonds to the tray for the last 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook your quinoa.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients to a bowl and add in the cooked quinoa and roasted chickpeas.
- Prepare the salad dressing, then pour it over the salad ingredients. Toss, and ENJOY!
- To Store. Store any leftover salad separately from the leftover dressing. Store both in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Serve leftover blueberry quinoa salad inside a wrap for a tasty on-the-go lunch, or mix it in a buddha bowl.
Recipe Variations for Avocado Blueberry Quinoa Salad
- Add Cheese. Add your favourite cheese, I love to add crumbled plant-based feta over my finished salad for a creamy finish.
- Add Beans. If you are not a fan of chickpeas, simply mix one can of rinsed and drained black beans in with the other salad ingredients.
- Add crispy tofu. I love adding some baked tofu, but feel free to add anything you fancy!
More Healthy Salad Ideas
- Easy Greek Salad
- Chickpea Cucumber Salad with Rocket Pesto
- Roasted Broccoli and Quinoa Salad
- Cucumber Radish Salad
- Blueberry, Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- Burrito Buddha Bowl
- White Bean Salad
- Strawberry Salad
- Lentil Salad
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 125g blueberries
- 1 avocado, finely sliced
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2 handfuls rocket
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 200C / 390F degrees and line your baking tray with baking paper.
Mix the patted dry chickpeas with the olive oil, paprika and turmeric and pop in the oven to roast for 20 minutes.
Add the almonds to the tray for the last 5 minutes. Once roasted chop them roughly.
Cook the quinoa to packet instructions and let it cool down.
In a bowl mix together the greens, quinoa, blueberries, and add the roasted chickpeas, almonds and avocado.
Make the dressing by blitzing all ingredients in a blender or shake them well in a jar.
Drizzle over the salad and serve.
For this recipe I mixed quinoa with brown rice, using any leftovers you might have works the best and helps prevent food waste!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 10gSugar: 8gProtein: 9g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Please share with us if you make this recipe! And check out our Avocado Blueberry Quinoa Salad web story.