My snickers cake is one of the most popular recipes on my blog. It's not really a surprise because who wouldn’t like a snickers cake?! The only problem some of you have mentioned is portion control; one slice is never enough when you have the whole cake in front of you. Therefore, this clean eating snickers bars recipe was born!
These healthy snickers bars are as good as the cake (if not better), although slightly different. They require coconut flour and I know loads of you have bags and bags of it lying around in cupboards, not knowing what to do it with it. Once you've made these clean eating snickers bars, check out this post for recipes using coconut flour as there are some amazing treats for you to try out.
Before we make this amazing clean eating snickers bars recipe, I want to mention few things. If you are allergic to peanuts, almonds or other nuts, feel free to use any other nut or seed butter as replacements, but be aware that the flavour will change a bit.
Use honey, coconut nectar or date nectar instead of maple syrup if preferred. As with all my recipes, the ingredients can always be swapped around as long as you stick to the measurements. The dates must be soft to make the best caramel filling. If you have very dried dates, soak them in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes.
A Vitamix or any high-speed blender is best suited to make this date caramel sauce, but in case you don’t have one, don’t fret. Use a regular blender and blend at the highest setting for 4 to 5 minutes, stopping and scraping down in between. Then strain the puree through a mesh strainer, to get rid of the date bits or, leave as is for a bit of texture. This clean eating snickers bar recipe makes more caramel sauce than needed, so store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 7 days. You can then drizzle the sauce over ice-cream or dunk sliced fruit into it.
Because there's a lack of preservatives and stabilisers, these clean eating snickers bars are best enjoyed straight from the freezer. Store in a covered container in the freezer for up to a month. That is if they last that long… I highly doubt it!
Here's the clean eating snickers bars recipe
- For the nougat
- ½ cup of creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of coconut flour
- For the caramel sauce
- 10 large (or 15 small) soft Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup of water
- A fat pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, softened
- ¼ cup of raw peanuts
- For the dark chocolate coating
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or 2 small raw chocolate bars
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Make each layer in this order:
- Combine the almond butter, maple syrup and coconut flour in a bowl and mix well to combine, until it is a sticky dough.
- Line a baking sheet/tray with baking paper and press the dough into it using your hands to create an ‘almost’ uniform rectangle shape, about ½-inch thick.
- Place in the freezer to set.
- Caramel sauce
- Combine the pitted dates, salt, vanilla, and coconut oil, and water in a Vitamix or any high-speed blender.
- Blend until completely smooth and creamy. The caramel sauce should be thick and spreadable. If too thick, add a splash of water.
- Chocolate Coating (prepare this when the other two layers have been frozen for a second time)
- Combine the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on 60% (or medium) powder in bursts of 20 seconds, stirring in between until completely melted, smooth and luscious.
- Once the nougat layer is set, take out of the freezer and slather the caramel sauce evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle peanuts all over the caramel layer and place it back in the freezer to set for at least an hour.
- Remove the block from the freezer. Slice into 6 full-size bars or into 12 mini bars.
- Dunk the bars into the melted chocolate coating, lifting with a fork to let the excess chocolate drip off.
- Place each bar back onto the lined baking sheet.
- Let it chill in the freezer for 30 minutes to set and harden.
- Devour, demolish and hide the rest!
How amazing is this clean eating snickers bars recipe? I promise you will never ever buy the usual snickers bar again. Also check these lush raw snickers bites, they are so simple to make.