I think there are over a hundred healthy Nutella recipes, but here I am today sharing with you my clean eating, healthy homemade Nutella recipe. You will only need 4 ingredients.
This recipe is made with 4 simple ingredients...hazelnuts, cocoa or cacao powder, dates and your choice of milk. I have used coconut milk, but you can use whatever you have in the fridge.
The biggest benefit is that unlike the standard Nutella, there’s no refined sugar or palm oil and there is no banana or avocado in it, which I know has put some of you off other healthy desserts in the past.
HOW DO I MAKE HEALTHY HOMEMADE NUTELLA?
The secret to make this healthy homemade Nutella recipe taste like the traditional Nutella (if not better) is in the blender. You need a strong powerful blender such as Nutribullet or I've used Vitamix. It really helps to create silky, thick and lush consistency and texture.
Another important step is roast your hazelnuts. I know it's extra work, but I promise to you it's worth the effort and it's not that hard. You basically pop the hazelnuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven for around 10 minutes. Then let cool down for a bit before rubbing off the skins.
Now I love eating this straight from the jar with a big spoon, but toast a bit of bread, add a big dollop of this Nutella, couple of sliced strawberries and here you have a healthy alternative to a bar of cheap chocolate. As well as a delicious spread, it would work well as a cake filler and also as an alternative dairy free cheesecake – now on my list.
Here's the healthy homemade Nutella recipe
Healthy Homemade Nutella Recipe
Healthy homemade Nutella recipe made with only 4 ingredients. Tastes better than shop-bought Nutella with no palm oil, or refined sugar. Vegan and dairy free.
- 3 cups hazelnuts
- 1 cup dates, soaked and drained
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon coconut milk (you can use any other milk)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and place the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking tray
- Toast in the oven for around 10 minutes or until the skins are almost black
- To remove the skins, wrap cooled hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub until most of the skins come off
- Next add the nuts to the blender and blend for a minute or so.
- Scrape the sides of the container with a spatula and then continue blending until the nuts are liquified (approximately 4 - 5 minutes)
- Scrape down the sides as needed and add more water if the mixture is too thick.
- Add the cocoa powder, dates, milk and blend until completely smooth
- Scrape into a jar and store in the fridge for up to a week
This homemade Nutella recipe taste so much fresher and more flavoursome than shop-bought varieties. If you liked this recipe try my healthy Chocolate Mousse or Chocolate Hummus; both divine and very easy.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts
I love how simple this recipe is, I am definitely going to give it a go, I just need to buy some hazelnuts. I cannot wait to try this and have it with some pancakes!