An easy, healthy Tofu traybake recipe that demands only 15 minutes of prep, and can be adapted to just about any vegetable.
This healthy Tofu traybake uses all the colours of vegetable rainbow (peppers), onions and mushrooms.
The variety makes the final dish beautiful, colourful, and nutritious. It's quick to prepare, wholesome and hearty.
Which Tofu Is Best For Cooking?
Tofu is categorized depending upon the amount of water content it contains.
- Extra-Firm Tofu has the least amount of water. It’s what I use for stir fries, like in this Rice Noodle Bowl with Crispy Tofu or my Baked Peanut Butter Tofu Bowl.
- Firm Tofu. Just slightly more crumble so think Tofu Scramble or in this ActiFry Chickpea and Tofu Stew.
- Soft or Silken Tofu. Both of these kinds of tofu have the least amount of liquid water and have soft and custard like texture. This type of tofu is not good for frying or baking. Instead, add it into smoothies or make Chocolate Mousse.
How Do You Prepare Tofu?
- Open the packet and press out as much of the tofu liquid as you can. The less the liquid, the crispier the tofu. Paper towel works the best
- Chop it up however you like it
- Add your favourite seasonings - I love smoked paprika, cumin, pinch of turmeric, soya sauce and chilli powder
- Bake in the oven until golden and crispy
Let's get the shopping list ready for you:
- Firm Tofu - Extra firm tofu is the best. Don't use silken or any other varieties; it won't work
- Onion - I like white onion, but purple is just as fine
- Peppers - love peppers, they add sweetness and loads of colour. They’re high in Vitamin-C, potassium, and folate.
- Mushrooms - you can use any mushroom you enjoy.
If you are swapping the veggies, just make sure you mind the baking time.
Harder veggies such as potatoes will need more time to bake, so either chop them smaller so they bake quicker or give them a head start before adding the remaining ingredients.
How to Store and Reheat Healthy Tofu Traybake
- To Store. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. I like to warm in the oven. Line a baking tray with foil and lightly coat with oil and reheat. Any leftovers taste amazing in a wrap with homemade guacamole.
How to Serve Healthy Tofu Traybake
- Brown rice or Quinoa - Mix with brown rice or quinoa; top with an extra squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of seeds
- Egg Fried Cauliflower Rice - delicious and super easy, you could you broccoli instead of cauliflower
- Guacamole - this is a lighter version of guacamole
- Tahini Dressing - just makes the whole dish to come alive even more!
Here's the Healthy Tofu Traybake recipe
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, don't use silken or another tofu
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Tofu Marinade
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Drain the tofu. Wrap in a double layer of paper towels and pat dry, pressing down on the tofu lightly to squeeze out excess water. Cut the tofu into ¾-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and get your baking tray ready
- Place the peppers, mushrooms and onion on the baking tray together with the spices and 1 tbsp of oil
- Using your hands mix well until every piece of veg is coated
- Now make the tofu marinade by whisking the spices and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Massage gently into the tofu pieces using your hands, ensuring each piece is well coated
- If you can let the marinade do its magic in the fridge for 20 minutes but if you are in a hurry just add the marinated tofu on the top of the veg
- Pop in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Make sure you turn the mixture around few times to allow everything bake well.
- The tofu should be slightly brown and crispy once finished
- Serve with avocado slices and Tahini dressing
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 809Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 45gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 2677mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 11gSugar: 20gProtein: 42g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
You can even serve the tray bake as it is, just add some fresh herbs, lemon wedges, Tahini dressing or/and salsa.