Just after porridge, granola is my favourite breakfast. I have made quite a few versions, simple granola with nuts and dried fruit, my son’s favourite Crunchy peanut butter granola or autumn Pumpkin and pecan granola which often is also eaten by the handful as an afternoon snack. All of these are lovely, but the one I am going to share with you now happens to be the best granola you’ll ever taste in your life. It is Christmas Chai granola after all!
I often fill a nice jar with this granola and give it as a gift to family and friends for Christmas, and it always receives great reviews.
Before we proceed to the recipe let’s have a closer look at the ingredients (which are all gluten free). Buckwheat brings protein and magnesium;oats are a great source of fiber as well as manganese, selenium and zinc; cranberries have vitamin C, cashews are the “good for you fats” and last but not least, dark chocolate is a powerful source of antioxidants. To sum this all up, this home-baked yumminess is full of health-giving ingredients.
Recipe serves loads, but it’s very hard to share
- 3 cups of gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup strong Chai Tea (I use Twinnings Chai Tea)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup of unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened cranberries
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (divide into a 2 half a cups)
- 3 tbsp of brown rice syrup or any of your favourite sweetener
- 2 tsps of cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of ginger
- vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line your baking tray with baking paper.
- Next make a strong chai tea (I left the bag in for 30 minutes), the stronger the better.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, buckwheat groats, desiccated coconut, cashew nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Put the strong brew, coconut oil, brown rice syrup and vanilla extract in a small bowl and mix well. Now pour it into the bowl of dry ingredients and toss to coat. Make sure all the oats are moist and fully covered.
- Evenly spread the granola on a baking tray and pop in the oven for 15 min. After 15 min break up the granola with a spoon, turn around and bake for another 15 min.
- Take the granola out and mix in 1 cup of cranberries and half a cup of dark chocolate chips. The chocolate will melt and make the granola even more crunchy.
- Let it cool completely before mixing with the remaining half a cup of chocolate chips. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week. Enjoy!