The credit for these healthy chocolate mince pies goes to my husband. He said to me the other day that he doesn't like mince pie pastry and that he wishes there would be a way to replace the pastry with chocolate! So I thought why not, and here I am sharing with you my healthy chocolate mince pie recipe.
If you looking for an alternative to the traditional mince pies , these healthy chocolate mince pies are it! Think homemade mince pie filling made of apricots, raisins, cranberries, apple and spices nested in dark chocolate shell topped with a white dusting for a festive finish.
As with most of my other recipes there is no need for fancy ingredients, so anyone and everyone can make them and eat them! They’re vegan, gluten-free with no added sugar and super easy to make.
The filling is so yummy, and I always end up making way too much and eating it by the spoonful for days to come! Don't worry if you don't have raisins, or apricots. Use whatever you have, just remember to stick to the measurements.
The layering process is simple: a little chocolate, a heaped spoon of filling, a little more chocolate on top, and BAM – you have healthy chocolate mince pies on your hands!
The pies can be made a few days ahead and kept in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 weeks making it even easier to always have some on hand over the christmas season.
Here's the healthy chocolate mince pies
- ½ apple, grated
- Juice and zest from ½ orange
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of ground clove
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 200g dark or raw chocolate
- Start by preparing 12 silicone cupcake moulds on a flat tray.
- Add 1 tbsp of melted chocolate to each mould and pop the tray in the fridge.
- Now make the mince pie filling.
- Place all the filling ingredients in the pan with a little bit of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add more water if necessary to keep the consistency gooey.
- Remove from the fire and let it cool down.
- Add 1 heaped tbsp of the filling into each cupcake mould over the hardened chocolate and press down gently with your fingers.
- Pour over the rest of the melted chocolate until the mince is covered.
- Pop back in the fridge to set
- You can dust the mince pies with some fine coconut flour for a festive finish
These would make the perfect healthier dessert to have on hand throughout the last Christmas shopping week. They would also make a delicious gift and of course healthier Christmas treat.